Best sports films

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Draft day is realistic until the point where the final trade happens - that is just plain garbage.

Moneyball is superb - every team in baseball uses advanced scouting analytics these days way past whatever the As did in 2002. And Philip Seymour Hoffman would still be alive if he had played Hatteberg over Pena at first base.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Chariots Of Fire & Senna are just streets ahead of everything else for me.

Honourable mentions to Seve & Rush. Plus (not a real sport but hey ho) the original Rollerball!

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
If we are going down the docu/drama/film route then there is an absolutely stunning 2hr docu film about the rise and fall of Columbian football leading up to the 1994 USA World Cup and the subseqent murder of the Colombian footballer Andreas Escobar. T

Titled "The Two Escobars" it documents the parallels between the rise of Columbian football and the influences of the rising Columbian drug cartels on the domestic game.

It's simply brilliant and utterly shocking....not just because of the end and Andreas Escobars death, but also becasue of the continued threats and actual violence towards the players and their families....which as a football fan at the time, I really dont think the world really knew what the Colombian team were going through.

Agree with this, watched it a few times and is an excellent documentary, well worth searching out if it's on YouTube/somewhere else :thup:

The ESPN "30 for 30" documentaries also contain quite a lot of good stuff.

In terms of films most have been mentioned, one that hasn't (I don't think) is a Basketball one I stumbled across a wee while ago called "Glory Road" about high school basketball in the 60's and racism etc etc. Was a decent enough watch.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dark Horse
Great choice Martin. :thup:

Did you realise that I am one of the 23 that owned Dream Alliance? Clearly my favourite sports film and I briefly appear in it a few times.

Other than that Grand Prix.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quite a few of my favourites have already had a mention...

Can't see and surprised there's been no mention of 'Million Dollar Baby'...

Haven't seen it yet [not even sure it's been released] but would be interested in seeing Borg/McEnroe...

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well at the risk of having my goolies cut off by Pathetic Shark, I am proudly going to say Escape to Victory! :D

Absolutely love this film, always have ever since I was a kid. I love it in a "it's really crap but it's good" kind of a way!

Will never get tired of watching it.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Love Slap Shot, The Mighty Ducks films were good too !!!! Jerry Maguire was good. The one that underpromised and overdelivered for me was Sea Biscuit. I have no interest in horses whatsoever and had to be really persuaded to watch the film but ended up really enjoying it.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well at the risk of having my goolies cut off by Pathetic Shark, I am proudly going to say Escape to Victory! :D

Absolutely love this film, always have ever since I was a kid. I love it in a "it's really crap but it's good" kind of a way!

Will never get tired of watching it.

Cutting off the goolies - you can tell I was watching the football hooligan sketch from Not the Nine O'clock news.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Golf is Bagger Vance but for football the one I enjoyed most has not been mentioned yet... There's Only One Jimmy Grimble

edit to add: And its a film all about football but not a sports film.... Purely Belter! this is superb for any football fan to watch

edit edit, and how could I forget Mike Bassett England Manger an absolute scream!

Last edited: