Best sports films

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure if we've ever done this one so here goes if not. And anyone posting "Escape to victory" at this point will find their goolies being cut off!

Golf - lots of possibilities but Bagger Vance does it for me.
Baseball - Tons to choose from but Field of Dreams (family), Eight Men Out (historical), Bull Durham (real fans) and Major League (comedy).
American Football - Any Given Sunday, The Replacements or the Program.
Ice Hockey - Slapshot (love those Hanson brothers).

Any other favourites?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I prefer more documentary-style sports films.

Pumping Iron
Bigger, Stronger, Faster
The Short Game
Generation Iron

are personal favourites.

D

Deleted member 1418

Motor racing - Rush.

But for me in terms of a quality cast and great film making, Chariots of Fire. Never tire of watching it.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good call on Rush - the way that ended with the real Niki Lauda speaking was breath-taking. I did think Wimbledon was 90 minutes of harmless escapism too.

D

Deleted member 15344

Seve
Greatest Game Ever Played
Tin Cup
Bigger Vance
Mean Machine
Wimbledon
Moneyball
Any Given Sunday
Friday Night Lights
Invictus
Senna
Rush
Field Of Dreams
Trouble with the Curve

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
There was a thread on this awhile ago I think?

Field of Dreams, yes.

Senna was superb.

Football...errr...is there a decent film made?

But surely more of a documentary?

If we are going down the docu/drama/film route then there is an absolutely stunning 2hr docu film about the rise and fall of Columbian football leading up to the 1994 USA World Cup and the subseqent murder of the Colombian footballer Andreas Escobar. T

Titled "The Two Escobars" it documents the parallels between the rise of Columbian football and the influences of the rising Columbian drug cartels on the domestic game.

It's simply brilliant and utterly shocking....not just because of the end and Andreas Escobars death, but also becasue of the continued threats and actual violence towards the players and their families....which as a football fan at the time, I really dont think the world really knew what the Colombian team were going through.

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golf - Happy Gilmore is my favourite. I have watched it quite a few times and I still find bits funny.

All sports - Raging Bull is probably the best. One of my favourite actors in one of his best roles. It deserves its 8 oscar nominations.

U

User62651

Dodgeball - quality film for White Goodman's part alone.
Draft Day - I loved it, most seem to hate it.
Chariots of Fire (the Vangelis bit on St Andrews beach is pretty epic cinematography)

Last edited by a moderator:

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you all lost the plot? Or is the correct answer to this question so obvious no one has brought it up?

ladies and gentlemen I give you 'Will'. Not only the best sports film, but in all probability the best film ever made!

Here endth the thread...