Best new smallish car

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Looking for something no bigger than Astra size, but not as small as a Citroen C1/Kia Picanto. Comfortable for 4 adult and 2 mid-size cases. Not bothered about MPG as it won't be doing many long journeys, bar the odd airport run.

Tried the Nissan Juke but little legs HID struggled getting in and out. Tried the Kia c'eed, and pleasantly surprised. Disappointed with how tinny the Clio was...

Please enlighten me oh mighty forumites

Unless you've got sorted out by now Brian, might I suggest you have a look at the Nissan Note (I don't sell them anymore so don't have a vested interest before anybody comments :mad:)

They have recently been discontinued, but that doesn't make them a bad car, and spares will be available for donkeys years.
Nissan dealers will have had a load to move on, so you should easily find some pre-registered bargains somewhere, saving a tidy packet off the list price new.
Not a big car, along the lines of a Honda Jazz, but masses of room in the back for rear seat passengers, a slightly higher seating position and a flexible rear seat arrangement but with a decent sized boot anyway.
If you can find some registered in March (or before) you will also benefit from £20.00 a year road tax.
I'd highly recommend one mate.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Mercedes A-Class. Best small hatchback I have owned. Only got rid because I wanted a Coop again.

I loved my a class, only changed it for something faster. With the lease deals on them atm (less than 200 a month) it's one of the best value cars out there

We had one for 13 months, and in line with the very bad press they had in the early days, it spent 7 of those 13 months in the dealers with various faults. It was a pig!

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Being fully into our dotage we wanted a car that a car that was easy to get in and out of... The Hyundai ix20 fitted the bill perfectly for us... Can also be got as a Kia Venga... We looked at getting a Nissan Note but at the time a better deal could be got for the Hyundai plus came with a much longer warranty...

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
If you could cope with something a tiny bit bigger you can get an A4 S Line Black Edition on lease atm for around 200 a month.

But aren't all those deals reliant on your only doing 5 miles a year or something like that with a hideous penalty for going over? Fine I suppose if all you do is tootle to the shops in a car, but every time I've looked as soon as you put in a sensible annual mileage the costs rockets.

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
But aren't all those deals reliant on your only doing 5 miles a year or something like that with a hideous penalty for going over? Fine I suppose if all you do is tootle to the shops in a car, but every time I've looked as soon as you put in a sensible annual mileage the costs rockets.

220 a month at 10k miles I think. Still ridiculous for that car

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Ford Focus zetec ecodrive

Superb car with loads of kit

Agreed. Ford Focus zetec's are great.
I have just had to replace mine as someone drove out in front of me yesterday morning and the damage to the car is more costly than the value.

A private pay out meant I had some money to put towards a new car and I ended up with a Vauxhall Vectra.
there weren't any reasonably priced Focus' near me that didn't have over 110k miles on the clock.

I would 100% recommend a Focus.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If you could cope with something a tiny bit bigger you can get an A4 S Line Black Edition on lease atm for around 200 a month.

Would happily go down the bigger route but not lease as its that retirement car that'll be kept for xx years. Also, its in Spain... not sure of the lease options out there.