Best GPS Watch for Short Game?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What different clubs do you use from 50 and 30 yards?

It amazes me how at our standard how anybody would need a device for 30 yards

But we’re all different I suppose ?
Repeating myself, but I wouldn't necessarily know it was 30 yards until I checked. :LOL: If it's 50 yards I'm using a half-swing 50° as that's my 50 yard shot. If it's 30 yards I might go half swing 56° or a kind of quarter-swing pitch and run. If I didn't check the yardage though, I might think it was 50 yards, hit my half swing 50° and hoist it right off the back of the green.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The best short game player at our club uses a p/w for all his shots from around 60 yards and in. We’re all different ?

Our resident pro Bob has often mentioned for years why some feel the need to use so many wedges, I’m sure he’s said in the past just learn to use a p/w.
Yes we have really good players that use only one club.
But PW lofts have changed over the last couple of years and most use the GW now 50* seems most popular as it’s nearest to old 48* pw.
This does me the best as you do get used to one club imo.
But I do change loft if the shot needs it.
Would be interesting to know who uses what and if it’s handicap based etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes we have really good players that use only one club.
But PW lofts have changed over the last couple of years and most use the GW now 50* seems most popular as it’s nearest to old 48* pw.
This does me the best as you do get used to one club imo.
But I do change loft if the shot needs it.
Would be interesting to know who uses what and if it’s handicap based etc.
Probably more a divide between feel players and numbers players. My judgement is not great so I had to kind of do trial and error over the years until I had my half swing yardages with each club for pitching, and that's why I need a number. Whereas feel players will be the ones using just one club and just looking at a target and hitting it. I just can't do that, I'd get it massively overhit or underhit half the time. I suppose lower handicap players will have better feel generally, but you'll still have low cappers who are more number-orientated (like Bryson I guess).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably more a divide between feel players and numbers players. My judgement is not great so I had to kind of do trial and error over the years until I had my half swing yardages with each club for pitching, and that's why I need a number. Whereas feel players will be the ones using just one club and just looking at a target and hitting it. I just can't do that, I'd get it massively overhit or underhit half the time. I suppose lower handicap players will have better feel generally, but you'll still have low cappers who are more number-orientated (like Bryson I guess).
I think a lot of high cappers just over think these shots .
They don’t really have a stock shot.
I very rarely see a high capper practicing their short game but see them smashing driver.
But see loads of low cappers just practicing their chipping for hours on end.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use a laser upto about 20 yds form the green, I am very poor at judging how har the flag is so its reassuring to know the actual distance. I am not saying I chip better but I feel better for doing it.