best golf tagging system

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
what is the best golf tagging system where you don't actually have to tag?

I had a game golf before but I got fed up with it because I kept forgetting to tag the clubs then was a pain working out on computer afterwards.

but having seen the new shotscope system it's got me interested again as I understand you don't have to tag anymore it just detects it- has anyone good any experience of this- good or bad? The thing that put me off was I thought the watch was a GPS but have since found it isn't and I already wear a watch.

Is game golf live the same with autotagging or do you still need to tag? Are there any other out there that you would recommend?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You have to select which club you used on the watch, but it makes a good guess based on some distances you enter when you set it up

Had a look and looks good think we might have a winner. Do you have it with Truswing? do you need that part for the game analysis part?

I have skycaddie skypro which I only really use for full swing and putting tempo and I like it so just looking to find out how TruSwing compares and if I even need it?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, haven't got truswing.
The only thing Id say was a bit naff was the course images it overlays the data on.
The google earth images used with other systems looks better

Chokeahontas

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've got Shot Scope. I've only played one round with it so far and have no experience of any other systems like it, but it has been great so far, I did have to go in to tweak a bit on my round (sadly, including a lost ball), but it was quite easy to do and the only thing you have to remember is to press the button on how many putts you took on the green.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I took the plunge and bought an Arccos 360 which I'm looking forward to receiving... currently reading every shot counts by mark broadie so after considering all tagging systems and finding out Arccos apply his strokes gained method it appealed most as I think for a lamen like myself the analytics software and deciphering where you are losing strokes compared to particular handicaps is the key to improving to better golf. i think we all like to feel like we KNOW where we are losing shots but that can change on any single round so after I have banked 30-50 rounds will be good to have an outside source identifying it for me.

Even in the book there's an anology on Justin Rose saying he felt his wedge game was rubbish and needed improving- when in fact after working through his strokes gained he was actually No1 on tour so if the pro's don't really know how can we?

I was really interested in scot scope but their website is a bit lacking in what analytics the software actually provides other than to say they are updating in Autumn 2017 after the feedback they have received.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
The Arccos 360 has been interesting me recently. Thinking about buying. Interested to hear more opinions from anyone that has it / has used it.

robbo

Hacker
Visit site
The Arccos 360 has been interesting me recently. Thinking about buying. Interested to hear more opinions from anyone that has it / has used it.

I've been using it since early June after previously using Game Golf. Pros and cons:

Pros
  • No need to tag each shot - auto tagging works very well
  • Easy to setup although I had to get a couple of sensors replaced - customer support was great though.
  • The app/website are easy to use and the strokes gained stats are really useful and well presented.
  • The predicted handicap from recorded rounds is very close to my actual handicap

Cons
  • The putter sensor is inaccurate but Arccos say they are updating these soon and have offered to replace for free. It's easy to manually change the putts but a bit of a PITA after every round.
  • It's not very easy to adjust for a tee shot possibly OOB or lost as the system assumes the provisional is the actual shot and the first one was a practice swing. You can add penalty shots but then you are losing the stats for the initial shot I assume.
  • You have to have a phone in your front pocket while playing - might be a deal breaker for some.

There is also an option to pay extra (30 day trial too) for a "caddy" feature where the app will suggest a club to play on a shot based on your shot history. I did not find this very useful. For example, it kept suggesting taking a driver on a short dogleg par 4 with trees and water between the tee and the green when 99.9% of players at the club take an iron off the tee.

In summary I am still using it and finding it useful whereas Game Golf I gave up on. It's not perfect but the best shot tracking system I've come across so far...

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Agreed good read Robbo 👏

I also had game golf but found it very frustrating, the live system was an upgrade but tagging and wearing the belt clip was a pain. Often found my 2nd putt was no where near the hole ?? Why would I putt it 30ft away every time. Too much after round editing so sold it out. It did offer plenty of info while I had it.

You can't chip or pitch and your rubbish from 100yrds in. Other than that your a scratch golfer #IQuit

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been using it since early June after previously using Game Golf. Pros and cons:

Pros
  • No need to tag each shot - auto tagging works very well
  • Easy to setup although I had to get a couple of sensors replaced - customer support was great though.
  • The app/website are easy to use and the strokes gained stats are really useful and well presented.
  • The predicted handicap from recorded rounds is very close to my actual handicap

Cons
  • The putter sensor is inaccurate but Arccos say they are updating these soon and have offered to replace for free. It's easy to manually change the putts but a bit of a PITA after every round.
  • It's not very easy to adjust for a tee shot possibly OOB or lost as the system assumes the provisional is the actual shot and the first one was a practice swing. You can add penalty shots but then you are losing the stats for the initial shot I assume.
  • You have to have a phone in your front pocket while playing - might be a deal breaker for some.

There is also an option to pay extra (30 day trial too) for a "caddy" feature where the app will suggest a club to play on a shot based on your shot history. I did not find this very useful. For example, it kept suggesting taking a driver on a short dogleg par 4 with trees and water between the tee and the green when 99.9% of players at the club take an iron off the tee.

In summary I am still using it and finding it useful whereas Game Golf I gave up on. It's not perfect but the best shot tracking system I've come across so far...

I would say from that the pros definitely outweigh the cons- I am a bit worried about stats when coming up with hole location- how do you actually notify the app/sensors where the hole is in relation to where you have landed/putted from then finished?

robbo

Hacker
Visit site
I would say from that the pros definitely outweigh the cons- I am a bit worried about stats when coming up with hole location- how do you actually notify the app/sensors where the hole is in relation to where you have landed/putted from then finished?

You have to edit the hole location post round for that level of accuracy. Personally I don't do this as I don't have the patience. I do think putting is one area where these sort of devices could be improved but I'm not sure there is an easy answer other than tagging manually at the hole location. And then we're back into the Game Golf world of forgetting to tag!

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Och i wont mind that if i just estimate it post round for the 18 holes. The tagging was main issue for me.

Got delivered today. 2nd hand and hes chopped down putter tag for his counter weight putter so will just need to glue on

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Duff a chip mind scrambles then miss tag 😱 frustrated you miss tagged #BlowUp

Archos auto tag sounds like the kit to have, oh tagging twice on gg what 🤔

robbo

Hacker
Visit site
Och i wont mind that if i just estimate it post round for the 18 holes. The tagging was main issue for me.

Got delivered today. 2nd hand and hes chopped down putter tag for his counter weight putter so will just need to glue on

If you have any trouble with the cut down putter tag let me know - I have 2 putter sensors as I asked for a replacement for the first one thinking it didn't work very well. Second one was the same! I can pop the spare in the post if you want it...