Ben Hogan's Five lessons book

rich90

Medal Winner
Visit site
Received this book for Christmas with a DVD but haven't had a chance to explore it due to work commitments. While giving it a quick skim, it's clear that the 'fundamentals' are all there e.g. grip, posture etc.

I've played on and off for about three years and I'm interested to see how the tips in the book match up against what I've picked up or been taught over the years.

Before I delve, has anyone tried this book/DVD yet? What did you think? Is it dated or still relevant as ever?

Miles

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi, I own this book, and it's a great read. Hogan talks about the key's to his swing, which in my opinion is one of the best ever. However, he does have his own style and one of the key's to his particular movements was his wrists. Not many people can maintain the lag he created in his swing. His is more of a one plane swing (flatter) than the more common 2 plane so it's worth noting how you prefer to swing. If it's more of an arms lifting above shoulders then this may not be suited to your style. Also, one last thing, his grip wasn't conventional as his right hand 'v' pointed at the chin and is thus very weak on the club.

Last edited:

rich90

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi Miles

I have tried the grip and you're right, the right hand is very weak. Regarding the 'lag', I have quite a late release. Is that the same thing?

rich90

Medal Winner
Visit site
So the book teach you that kind of swing? I'd imagine the weak right hand is the key to that kind of position at the top of the swing?

Miles

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well, I'm not sure if the book goes into enough detail to teach you his exact swing but it gives you the essence of it. From reading up on hogan I think the mixture of his grip, supination of his wrists at the top, a fantastic lower body action and his immense natural talent enabled him to get into that position at the top.

Miles

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Hogan used to fight a hook so if you're hooking the ball then you might find something that floats your boat, if you're a slicer then you're playing with fire :)