Ben Crane - Rule Issue

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the biggest myth with golf rules. People aren't penalised because it necessarily gives them an advantage, in fact you can often use the rules to gain an advantage
What I find a bit confusing is these dots don't give you any advantage but make the club non conforming.
But you can stick lead tape on to alter the weight which does give some advantage and this is not against the rules?
This seems a bit odd,

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
What I find a bit confusing is these dots don't give you any advantage but make the club non conforming.
But you can stick lead tape on to alter the weight which does give some advantage and this is not against the rules?
This seems a bit odd,
Lead tape is a specific exception because of its 'traditional use'. As are the ball collectors fixed to the end of the grip.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lead tape is a specific exception because of its 'traditional use'. As are the ball collectors fixed to the end of the grip.
Traditional use ! I thought golf was trying to update its appeal to younger players who would use technology rather than lead tape.
Just seems a strange one as one gives no advantage but is the one that's non conforming.
But that's golf for you never straight forward!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Traditional use ! I thought golf was trying to update its appeal to younger players who would use technology rather than lead tape.
Just seems a strange one as one gives no advantage but is the one that's non conforming.
But that's golf for you never straight forward!
The use of lead weighting was standard practice well before the rules of construction were introduced.

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One of the biggest myth with golf rules. People aren't penalised because it necessarily gives them an advantage, in fact you can often use the rules to gain an advantage

A bigger myth is that the rules offset actual advantage, when in fact they are intended to offset "potential" advantage. Just because we do not see an advantage in a specific case does not mean there is no potential advantage.