Ben Crane - Rule Issue

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yesterday Ben Crane was given two separate 4-shot penalties for starting his round with non-conforming clubs. The reason they were non-conforming is because they had those little white reflective stickers you put on to get club-face data from a GC2 launch monitor. Didn't realise this was a rule, and have seen plenty of people at my club (as we have a GC2 in the teaching bay) with the stickers on their clubs. Is this another of those funky USPGA rules? or is it something the R&A enforce?

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting - I played with someone the past couple of weeks who has these on his driver because he is having lessons indoors.

I know there is no advantage and to penalise him at our level would seem massive overkill - I will not tell on him ....

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting - I played with someone the past couple of weeks who has these on his driver because he is having lessons indoors.

I know there is no advantage and to penalise him at our level would seem massive overkill - I will not tell on him ....
Which other rules do you not tell him about - until it gets noticed whilst he is leading the comp?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

No point telling ON him now - as any comp would be deemed 'sealed' by now.

But certainly worth telling him that these dots make the club non-conforming, to avoid problems for any future comp!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Can anyone explain why 4 stroke penalties?

Also why did he not learn after day 1?

2 strokes for each hole the infringement occurred at.....subject to a maximum penalty of 4 strokes.

I believe that both infringements occurred in the same round and they were considered separate infringements....hence the 8 strokes total penalty....which I belive has now been upgraded to disqualification as he knew about the 6iron when he discovered the driver issue but didn't declare it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
2 strokes for each hole the infringement occurred at.....subject to a maximum penalty of 4 strokes.

I believe that both infringements occurred in the same round and they were considered separate infringements....hence the 8 strokes total penalty....which I belive has now been upgraded to disqualification as he knew about the 6iron when he discovered the driver issue but didn't declare it.
Yes, he would have been DQd under 4-4c

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf has some odd rules. This does seem very harsh, assuming it is the little white dots how can they be deemed to give an advantage?
One of the biggest myth with golf rules. People aren't penalised because it necessarily gives them an advantage, in fact you can often use the rules to gain an advantage