beginner

Jaycunn

Hacker
Visit site
HI all, I was just about to go gung ho and take a £200 hit on buying a New set of irons however after some thinking and restraint I started wondering about a custom fit. There is a place near me in Warrington called true fit golf that do it for £25 having not used many sets I think this may be the option as I get to have a go and even if i don't buy clubs from this retailer at least i know m y measurements. I will also be purchasing lesson from here.

So the question is, am I doing the right thing or is it a waste of money for a beginner?

Thanks

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm also a beginner, and have got by so far with an old set of hand-me-downs (must be getting on for 15-20 years old) that have suited me fine. Just had them regripped for about 50 quid too which has given them a new lease of life. For learning the basic principles these have been fine, so I'd probably say you could get away without it. Might be better spent on £200 worth of lessons from a pro.

Although having never experienced a club fitting, I can only speak from my own personal experience, so someone else may be able to offer some more guidance :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got down to 11 and shot in the 70s with clubs bought for me by someone else and were aimed at far better players than me. I didn't even see them until they were in the bag.

The closest to custom fitting was getting the right spin rate on a launch monitor for my drivers.

Its not essential but can really help those significantlytaller or shorter than average at the beginning.

Anyone else its really an unknown if it makes a difference until you feel or can show it has done.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
HI all, I was just about to go gung ho and take a £200 hit on buying a New set of irons however after some thinking and restraint I started wondering about a custom fit. There is a place near me in Warrington called true fit golf that do it for £25 having not used many sets I think this may be the option as I get to have a go and even if i don't buy clubs from this retailer at least i know m y measurements. I will also be purchasing lesson from here.

So the question is, am I doing the right thing or is it a waste of money for a beginner?

Thanks

My take is fairly predictable, but get a few lessons. Once you have good basics to build a swing on, then you open up the range of clubs to buy. Also, if you get fitted now, and then have lessons and the pro makes changes, say for argument sake making the swing steeper or changing set up, there's a chance the fit you went for will no longer be appropriate

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
What I would say is if your around average golf height 5'10ish then standard will be fine, if your tall then getting something longer than standard is maybe worth looking at.

What says about your swing changing will have more of an effect on the lie angle as that has more to do with the angle you take the Clubhead through impact. But still, if you got fitted and your swing changes then you can just get the lie angle altered to suit.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
As a "beginner" I personally think that getting custom fit would be a total and utter waste of time.
As Adey says above, if you are around "average" height, a standard set of clubs will suit you just fine.
Buy a decent second hand set (make sure they are regular everything and haven't been tweaked) and stick with them for a while, just to make sure that the novelty doesn't wear off.
Then in a year or so's time, look at custom fitting again if you really want to. By that time you will have some kind of repetitive swing that a fitter can work with.
I would suggest buying steel shafted clubs as well, again "regular" unless your swing is super quick.
Playing with too stiff a shaft will do more damage to your game than playing with an "inferior" make of club.
A mate of mine plays off 7, he has only recently changed from a cheap set of "Sports Direct" specials to Ping.
I think he bought his first clubs bit by bit, and only paid something like £7.00 a club! They didn't hold him back.
His first fitting session was for the Pings and he has never had a lesson in his life.
;)

Jaycunn

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks guys, for me the fitting is not about getting fitted so much, it's about the chance for me to use a couple of different clubs to see what I like and what I might not like if that makes sense?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys, for me the fitting is not about getting fitted so much, it's about the chance for me to use a couple of different clubs to see what I like and what I might not like if that makes sense?

Look at the ones on display in the pro shop.
Pick the ones that look "the mutts nuts", get the right shaft for you, and you'll hit 'em.
Golf is about 100% confidence.
If you are 100% confident in the clubs you have in your hand, you'll hit them.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The phrase "custom fit" is more about taking A set and making it YOUR set.

Trying out clubs on a range or launch monitor is not really what most people think of on here as a custom fit.

If you then go on to getting long, non-stock or specific flex shafts AND look at lie angle and loft tweaking etc then that's more customising.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The thing to ask yourself is "how much has the "average" handicap changed over the last 30 years"
You would be suprised at the answer.
Despite the advances in golf club and ball technology, the average handicap remains around the same.
30 years ago, nobody got custom fitted, except maybe the pro's.
You walked into the shop, saw a set of irons you liked, had a few swishes with them and thought "this fooker will shift it".
You then parted with your dosh and swung happily ever after (or at least the next year/two years/three years (delete as appropriate)) until another set of new shinys caught your eye.
Custom fitting ain't all it's cracked up to be, unless you are very (very) good.

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
I would say like others have said, if you're averse height then a normal set will be fine. You can get decent second hand sets for £100-150 on gumtree/ebay/forum etc. is then book some lessons to set you on the right path from the off! Good luck!