Beginner

Danny54321

Visit site
Hello just joined there the now.

Used to play golf when i was younger, but now want to get back into the game.

Looking for a set of clubs but not wanting to spend hundreds and hundreds just incase a dont get back into the swing of it as much as a would like.

Anyway, what set would folk recommend on buying for a beginner.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Might seem like silly advice, but have you actually went into a good golf shop and asked for assistance? I'm a beginner and felt (and was also advised) that the best clubs are ones you feel comfortable with.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you had a look round on here in the f/s + wanted?

I am in the process of getting shot of endless golf equipment, I'm not the only one either.

If you're not sure if you will get back into it, spend as little as possible. Or borrow.

Where are you? (roughly, not your house name!)... maybe someone on here can do you a bag of used goodies.

Chances are you'll be nowhere near me, nobody lives out here, it's one of the least populated counties of England.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
PS - as with most things in life, getting sound advice is not always easy when there's money involved.

I was in ***** store today looking at Laptops. A Lady was asking for advice and the salesman was "guiding" her towards a few brands, all of which would be the bottom of my list. Surprisingly similar to golf shops in my experience.

If you saw some sets in your local paper, you could ask for an unbiased opinion on here. I waste far too much time researching irons, there are guys on here who know all there is about shaft technology, and some are experts of putters, balls, gloves, you name it.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would go for a second hand set from a well known brand, such as Taylor Made, Ping, Callaway etc. If you dont get on ith the game you will be able to sell them for a simlar amount paid, as depreciation would be minimal and demand for top brands is much greater . As a general rule, cavity back irons are more forgiving. A regular shaft would suit unless you generate lots of club head speed (or are getting on in life). A set off the rack would probably do for starters. If you are tall or short, a custom fit set in future will probably help.

Enjoy!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
From what I have seen on Ebay you could probably pick yourself up a set of TaylorMade Burner or something like Callaway x-12 or x-14 pretty cheap. My advice is if you are of average height you would not really need to worry about getting a custom fit yet and just get a good quality second hand set from Ebay to get you going. If you see anything then post it up here and I ma sure you will get some sound advice.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
From what I have seen on Ebay you could probably pick yourself up a set of TaylorMade Burner or something like Callaway x-12 or x-14 pretty cheap. My advice is if you are of average height you would not really need to worry about getting a custom fit yet and just get a good quality second hand set from Ebay to get you going. If you see anything then post it up here and I ma sure you will get some sound advice.

Sound advice this. Then if you really get into it you can worry about upgrading your kit and custom fitting later on, and you will have a reasonable trade in in value to help you. The rest is really down to how esay the clubs are on your eye. Some cubs to me just look too hard to be able to hit consistently. As MadAdey said - look at some kit using the guidance previously given above and if you need any help to ensure you do not pay over the odds, theres lots of people on here to help you.

Danny54321

Visit site
My mate gave me a set of Ryder irons to mess about with.

Ave looked on ebay and gumtree but there is nothing in or anywere near my area.

Danny54321

Visit site
Got myself a set of clubs for free from a mate of mine.

Wilson Ultra TXF Driver
Spalding Pro Caliber 10.5 Number 1
Wilson PWS X-31 Number 3
Wilson Ultra TXF Irons 5,6,7,8,9, PW
Ryder Z-40 Irons 3,4, SW
Wilson Dyna Balance 3D putter

Danny54321

Visit site
Played my first game few weeks ago at Dalmuir. Had a really bad day as you can see with my scores below. Par 67 and i scored 122. Was a nightmare.

Hole Par Yrds Score
1 4 280 9
2 4 226 7
3 4 418 9
4 3 152 5
5 4 298 7
6 4 303 8
7 4 300 8
8 4 317 6
9 4 288 6
10 4 266 7
11 3 176 5
12 3 92 4
13 4 419 6
14 3 200 7
15 3 150 3
16 4 367 7
17 4 354 8
18 4 439 8

Played at Lethamhill today and did much better, taken my time with my shots, and did much better with my putting, course is a par 70 i scored 102.

Hole Par Score
1 3 5
2 4 9
3 5 7
4 3 5
5 5 7
6 3 5
7 5 7
8 5 5
9 4 6
10 4 5
11 3 4