Beginner Golf question

dbrookf

Visit site
The middle finger of my left hand really hurts when I’m playing and for a few days after - any advice please? (No ‘give it up’ cracks please!)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The middle finger of my left hand really hurts when I’m playing and for a few days after - any advice please? (No ‘give it up’ cracks please!)
Presumably, you play right-handed?
What sort of grip do you use?
Interlocking - small finger of right hand hooking around index finger of left; left thumb 'held' along club, inside right hand?
Overlap - small finger of right hand overlaps index finger of left; left thumb 'held' along club, inside right hand ?
(Semi?) Baseball- Hands separate; left thumb 'held' along club, inside right hand (Semi Baseball) or hands completely separate/'independent' (Baseball)?

dbrookf

Visit site
I don’t think I do - I’m aware of the need not to do that! I think if that was the case more or different fingers would hurt? Thanks for the input though!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Purely as an experiment.....
Try playing (once) with Semi Baseball grip and see if that makes a difference.
Which part of the finger actually hurts? Presumably you don't play with a wedding ring.

dbrookf

Visit site
Purely as an experiment.....
Try playing (once) with Semi Baseball grip and see if that makes a difference.
Which part of the finger actually hurts? Presumably you don't play with a wedding ring.
Apologies, I’ve been told I already use the semi baseball!

dbrookf

Visit site
No signs of arthritis fortunately. (And not old enough!). Only get the pain after golf - suffering today even after using a ‘bionic’ glove yesterday.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you 'range pound'? A good way of building up injuries for a beginner.

I read from a book (when I first started) that the grip strength should be like holding a bird in you hand that you do not want to crush. A good test is to hold the club and then get somebody to pull the club out of you hand which they should be able to do without undue reasonable effort.

dbrookf

Visit site
Absolutely agree re range pound. Not me though. I’ve read that too about the bird - easier said than done but not sure why just one middle finger!

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Can you bend your finger down to touch your palm below the thumb without any help from the other hand?
If you can there is probably no problem.
If you can't I might have a solution.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
It’s a struggle to do that, and painful

Have a word with a pharmacist.
You might need some protection for the finger.
There should be no harm in making a claw with the fingers of the hand, but do it slowly then stretch the fingers back.
Repeat for as many times as you like. In a few days you might notice an improvement.

Swango1980

Visit site
You're grip may be flawed, and putting your finger under more stress than would be expected. A lesson with a golf pro would be able to see if there is anything dodgy about the way you hold the club. And, far better to get that sorted asap, because once you get used to the way you hold a golf club, it is a nightmare to try and change. A good pro may also know a bit about specific golf injuries and how to avoid them.

You could also google the injury, I found several sites that discussed golfing finger injuries, so perhaps one of these would relate to you.

Red devil

Visit site
Beyond my remit to give medical advice but when I started playing went full on mental on the range,ball after ball, wrong thing to do knowing what I know now.
Developed "trigger finger" damage to finger ligaments, caused my little finger to lock. It's a common golf injury and NHS website has a section on it.
Only cure for me was rest and Ibuprofen to calm inflammation.
Check your grip, I was gripping too tight and being new to the game hitting range mates causing vibration in hands didn't help