BBC lose Bake Off!

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good news! The bbc has shown a total lack of interest in baking for years. A commercial broadcaster will bring new innovations to the coverage and hopefully inspire a whole new generation of young bakers.

Well if it goes to Sky they will hype it up as the most important thing on the planet alongside Oxygen and slightly higher than water.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Good news! The bbc has shown a total lack of interest in baking for years. A commercial broadcaster will bring new innovations to the coverage and hopefully inspire a whole new generation of young bakers.

Will we get Pro-Tracer giving us the flight to and from the oven...?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
So channel 4 have splashed out 25 mil on a program format and without securing the services of any of the presenters or judges who made the show so popular.

sounds like a bargain to me, bet someone at The Beeb is wetting himself with laughter, whilst someone at C4 is just wetting themselves

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So channel 4 have splashed out 25 mil on a program format and without securing the services of any of the presenters or judges who made the show so popular.

sounds like a bargain to me, bet someone at The Beeb is wetting himself with laughter, whilst someone at C4 is just wetting themselves

Thank god for that, coz if sue Perkins is funny then so are Piles. Well they are on yer mate but that's not the point. If mr Hollywood and Mary go then oh dear. When the Beeb lost the open to Sky it was going to be the apocalypse. Well that soon Went tits up for all the doubters. Re bake off, I want to see people er bake, then I want to see people say you can or cannot bake Sue and wot sis name are not the Jeremy Clarkson and gerbil of the baking world.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
No Mel and Sue.... there is a god after all!

Apparently they stepped down... yeee course.

Me thinks the production company that sold their soul to the highest bidder have kind of underestimated what makes the show work, i.e the chemistry between the presenters and the fact it kind of ambles along without any annoying advert breaks or manufactured jeopardy which commercial TV is so fond of (after the 5th commercial break in 40 minutes, will Alice's bread rise, tune in to find out.....)

You'd have thought the Top gear fiasco would have given them a bit of a heads up, but seems not.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
No worries....get that tart from Big Brother in, a couple of other Z list celebs - that berk Rylan springs to mind - add a few firecrackers and whizzbangs and Roberts yer Father's Brother.
The kids will love it.........

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Thank god for that, coz if sue Perkins is funny then so are Piles. Well they are on yer mate but that's not the point. If mr Hollywood and Mary go then oh dear. When the Beeb lost the open to Sky it was going to be the apocalypse. Well that soon Went tits up for all the doubters. Re bake off, I want to see people er bake, then I want to see people say you can or cannot bake Sue and wot sis name are not the Jeremy Clarkson and gerbil of the baking world.

I'd argue the comparison is more with Top Gear than The Open. The Open on the BBC was a tired and lazy production out of the 1980's, it was always obvious that Sky would do a much better job in terms of the technical side of it. But if you look at the viewing figures they were much reduced on Sky that what ever you used to get on the BBC.

Bake Off mostly works because of the chemistry of the presenters, much like Top gear did. Hardly anyone would tune in just to see amateurs baking on their own, the premise for it is faintly silly as a ratings winner really. But it is the most watched program on BBC and a massive part of that is down to Mel and Sue and Mary and Paul. Much like the reason Top Gear mostly worked was down to Clarkson, Hammond and May. They had chemistry which appealed to a lot of viewers. Yes some people may not like them or find them funny in which case fair enough, but sometimes the presenters are the main reason the program works and in Top Gear and Bake Off I'd argue that is the case. Which I expect is/will be backed up by the viewing figures.

Last edited:

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am so glad I appear to be the only person in the country that couldn't care less about this.
Never really got cooking / baking programs to be honest. The food looks good but when they taste it you kind of have to take their word on how delicious it is.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slightly ironic to see the Sun criticising CH4 for buying GBBO, especially when you notice that 70% of the company that makes GBBO is owned by none other than Rupert Murdoch :rofl:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think someone at The Sun will be getting a less than friendly phone call from Murdoch towers and the tone of their coverage will suddenly change. In the next few days blame will go onto the BBC and CH4 will be seen as the saviour of the show.