Basic swing question.

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Okay, so I went for a knock last night. (Played terribly) But doubt was cast on how I swing a club.

Effectively on my takeaway for the backswing I open up my hands and as I come down through the ball I close my hands. The easiest way to think of this is as if I was doing a baseball swing, pretty much the same movement.

Well the person I was playing with last night said that his hands do not move, at least not consciously. So I tried it out, with my hands being quite rigid and I noticed an improvement in accuracy, but a little less power.

Surely theoretically it is easier to hit the ball if your hands aren't opening and closing, especially when the clubface angle is of such vital importance?

I really really hope this makes sense to somebody!

x

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have tried consciously opening and closing, and I have tried not doing this. It feels very different.

On video, there is no difference to be seen at all.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I definitely do NOT roll my hands open or closed through the ball, the face of the club stays square to the swingplane at all times (or at least it's meant to).

Some people get the face open or closed at the top which is often to do with cupping/bowing of the wrist - I tend to keep mine fairly flat/neutral.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
What is the 'correct' way of doing it, if there is any?

Hmmm.

I used to have a pro who though a player should gently let the face open a tad, accompanied by the left arm rolling the tiniest of bits back to 9 o'clock position (thereabouts, or when you cock the wrists).

BOTH my recent pros have dismissed this theory as dodgy, especially with a player like me who tends to get a bit open at the top and then leave it a degree or two open through the ball/impact.

I have been working for exactly one week on ZERO manipulation of the club on the take away. Effectively, the split second before I set the wrists (cock the club) the face is seemingly closed (well, that's how it looks on video)...but I'm assured it's not.

I hit two shots a.t.m. one is perfect, the other a bit slicey. One is when I get it right, the other when I forget and go back to the old style.

I guess if you hook the ball too much, a little fanning of the face is OK. Generally, I'm coming round to thinking NO.

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I went out today and kept my wrists fairly rigid apart from the wrist cock, no fanning whatsoever.

I played two balls as the England game was on. I hit 87 with one (with a 41 back 9) and a 93 with the other. It would have been 44 and 39 points respectively, so pretty happy with the results.

Thanks guys x

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
... the face of the club stays square to the swingplane at all times (or at least it's meant to).

Really? I was always under the impression that ideally, on the backswing, when the shaft reaches horizontal, the club-face should be pretty much vertical. So not square to the plane at all. Or am I mis-understanding?

I don't think this is something I consciously try to achieve mind you, and I know I can get into the habit of rolling my wrists which in turn I think causes me to swing a bit flat. So maybe focusing on keeping my wrists more still might help me.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
... the face of the club stays square to the swingplane at all times (or at least it's meant to).

Really? I was always under the impression that ideally, on the backswing, when the shaft reaches horizontal, the club-face should be pretty much vertical. So not square to the plane at all. Or am I mis-understanding?

Nick Faldo (left) and Nick Price (right)

24681379.gif

NB: It's NOT a good idea to take the club outside the line as Faldo is doing, it will make you very inconsistent.....erm,.... just like Faldo :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Didn't Price and Faldo both have D.L. "do" their golf swings.
Either way, it looks pretty clear to me that neither has opened the face at all before cocking the wrists.
This position (of not manipulating the face) before setting the wrists is where I'm at a.t.m.
It's getting better, as is my ability to avoid the face being open through impact.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Those two camera angles look as though they differ to me, I'd say that both of them have the club in a pretty similar position.

Back on the S&T sales pitch? :D

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you look at any of Montgomerie's swing sequences, you will see he actually closes the face on his initial take away, and the opens the face in his downswing . What he is effectively doing is trying to keep the face angle facing the target line for longer than most pros. And he is renowned for his accuracy.

I played like this afor a year or so a while back and developed surprising accuracy and got rid of much of my (then) slice. Cant remember why on earth i ended up changing back to a conventional swing ??

Must admit i dont like hearing "keeping my wrists rigid". Maybe we're thinking difffernet things, but rigid wrists say goodbye to any power from a release ?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Must admit i dont like hearing "keeping my wrists rigid". Maybe we're thinking different things

I'm not keen on the idea of rigid either. It's a simple feeling taking the club back and maintaining the original relation of face to hands, it's just tough to set the wrists if you've got into the habit of having the toe 100% up at 9 o'clock. Anyone who struggles with a slice would do well to deliberately check the face is a little hooded before cocking the wrists.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hey Sneds.....
Just my tuppence worth pal......But i never think about swing thoughts as such i just try to make sure im gripping the club properly and that at address im aligned properly and standing right....And someone can correct me here but in my mind if these are in someway right then your swing should take care of itself.......I never worry about wrist hinge or how far my elbow is away from my body or how far iv turned......I think that if these things are going through your mind(swing thoughts) then your not focusing on the job in hand which is hitting the ball......