Bar Levy £30 due to be introduced then change of mind!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have a voluntary scheme at present where the bar card entitles us to a 15% discount on food and beverages. Around 50% of members have a card (around 300).

The Club has had a successful year because of excellent greens, better food. Open comps. are full, member numbers are increasing, green fee income is increasing, good pro. along with excellent practice facilities.

Heard last month The Council were going to introduce a compulsory bar levy of £30 which with£10 subs increase would make £40 per annum.

Club conducted a members’ survey from which many members objected to the £30 bar level, I suggested minimum £50. Despite initially agreeing the levy, and minuting, they have now decided against any compulsory levy.

Thoughts please.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The only problem I have with a bar levy is that it's a compulsory thing.
The age old argument about car park golfers not supporting the club ...blah blah blah.....
Some people don't want to, some people can't.
Why should they have to pay more for their membership than those who want and are able to partake in a drink and a sandwich afterwards.
It's not compulsory to go in the bar afterwards and people shouldn't get stick because they can't or don't want to.
As LT says..make it attractive enough to entice people in and they'll come.
Forcing them in is the wrong tack...

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
We don't have a compulsory levy but this year introduced a "bar/club loyalty card" which you got £10 free credit if you topped up with £50 on the first occasion. I think I've topped it up several times since it was introduced. You can use your credit to buy anything in the club and all your competition winnings gets credited to the card. You get a 10% discount on food and drink.

Whilst I'd always prefer to be given the choice of where/how I spend my money and my base instinct tells me I would be against a compulsory levy, if push came to shove I know I really wouldn't personally get too worked up over a nominal amount of say £50.

The only folks who i can see really throwing toys out of the pram over a compulsory levy would be those car-park golfers who arrive, check-in, finish and go home....those who have no interest in the "club" once they step off the 18th green.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The only problem I have with a bar levy is that it's a compulsory thing.
The age old argument about car park golfers not supporting the club ...blah blah blah.....
Some people don't want to, some people can't.
Why should they have to pay more for their membership than those who want and are able to partake in a drink and a sandwich afterwards.
It's not compulsory to go in the bar afterwards and people shouldn't get stick because they can't or don't want to.
As LT says..make it attractive enough to entice people in and they'll come.
Forcing them in is the wrong tack...
Firstly the club has to get a certain level of revenus to keep going, the bar levy can help towards it.
Secondly there is sometimes a certain amount of chicken and egg about people going into bars/ restaurants the more popular they are the more people go , sometimes the bar levy can give that initial push.
At our club if you really don't want to use the bar you can always buy wine to drink at home out of the levy .

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Although we have a set amount put on the card, it's part of the annual subs and doesn't seem to stop people wanting to join. 2's winnings, comp winnings or anything else can be paid into your card as well.
I think it works very well and I dont hear many if any complaining about it, and those car park golfers who never frequent the bar make a once a year visit to the bar to buy wine for their table at home.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We have a £50 bar levy on our card, no problems with it, spend more than that in a year. We get 10% off food with the card. I might have more of an issue with it if it was a £300 levy like Woburn.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Why do people join golf clubs? To play golf. If they wanted a drinking club they'd go to their local pub. People join a golf club through choice. A compulsory bar levy leaves no choice.

I spent more in a week than the £30 bar card you asked the question about, but I did that through choice.

If the club needs to raise the net margin from the £30, usually around 25%-30%, add another £10 to the subs.

As for how popular the bar is, its up to the club to make it attractive. Its not hard to do some decent marketing and giveaways, e.g. a happy hour.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
being told I "have" to spend £30/£50 in the bar after I've paid my £1200 a year subs? no thanks.
if I decide I want to use the bar after my round I will take my wallet out.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One of the other points I raised which has not been covered:

Council going back on original decision. Sign of strength listening to members, not sure wha %, or weakness in caving in. Tail wagging the dog!

User20204

Visit site
We introduced a compulsory £30 levi this year, I was there when it was voted through, I voted for it, if it were to come round again, I'd vote against it.

Ours is for alcohol and soft drinks only, not food as that is a separate franchise so in effect, we the club are only getting 45% or 55% I'm not sure which way round it is, due to the brewers getting their cut.

Yes it is indeed increased revenue that is much needed but if anyone thinks it will bring more people in through the door, then our club isn't one of them.

Do I think we lost members due to it being introduced ? No, would it put people off rejoining again next year ? Possibly, but overall, it's not the answer to a sinking ship.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why do people join golf clubs? To play golf. If they wanted a drinking club they'd go to their local pub. People join a golf club through choice. A compulsory bar levy leaves no choice.

I spent more in a week than the £30 bar card you asked the question about, but I did that through choice.

If the club needs to raise the net margin from the £30, usually around 25%-30%, add another £10 to the subs.

As for how popular the bar is, its up to the club to make it attractive. Its not hard to do some decent marketing and giveaways, e.g. a happy hour.
People have the choice whether or not to join the club with a levy , they also are able to express their opinion at the AGM. Decent marketing costs money and if the levy helps bring people into the clubhouse which speaking to people in our club it seems to , it is probably a worthwhile exercise.

Springveldt

Visit site
I wouldn't have a problem with it for such a small amount since I normally buy a drink after every round anyway (shandy, fresh orange and lemonade or pint of Irn Bru depending on mood). I've actually got £29 sitting on my club card at the moment and haven't been in the clubhouse since the start of October.

Since the card gives me 10% and helps the club I don't mind it at all.

Are there really people out there who are members at a club and don't spend £30 at the bar all year?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of the other points I raised which has not been covered:

Council going back on original decision. Sign of strength listening to members, not sure wha %, or weakness in caving in. Tail wagging the dog!
I would say good management. Members are customers, listen to your customers surely? There are some issues worth fighting over with members, I would suggest this is not one of them. They may have been getting the backs up with members when there is no real need to. From what you said in your first post things are going pretty well anyway, why upset the apple cart?

www.hiltonpark.net
If drinks and food aren't able to wash their face in terms of revenue then do we need them? Most bar and food fees are considerably cheaper than other local cafe's and bars, so those that have the time to use them should pay more for the privilege maybe?
I fall into the Car park member category. I have a young family and after I've played my weekend round head off to do family stuff. I'm on our committee and theirs a real reticence to modernise the club and it's facilities to make it more welcoming for families. Older members don't want higher prices, don't want modernisation but do want us to pay a levy to help with the revenue stream. You can't have your cake and eat it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
People have the choice whether or not to join the club with a levy , they also are able to express their opinion at the AGM. Decent marketing costs money and if the levy helps bring people into the clubhouse which speaking to people in our club it seems to , it is probably a worthwhile exercise.
I would argue that with the rise of social media now that is no longer the case. Via Facebook, email etc clubs can market their members regularly for free, other than the time taken to take pictures, think of text, make posts etc. My own club is rubbish at this but I follow a few others locally that are very good and are regularly marketing events, special offers etc.