Ball selection.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not found the pd soft to scuff much. A good wedge shot hit down on for spin will at times.
I was in Sport direct this morning have them for £11.50 doz. So not bad price wise.

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As a high handicapper generally playing in the mid 90's I'm happy to use any decent balls but have a liking for the Wilson Staff DX2 Soft which seems to perform well for me...but so do Srixon AD333, Z Star, Titleist Velocity and various balls found in the rough!

Gringo El Bingo

Medal Winner
Visit site
As for where to buy in smaller packs, you can pick up 3 packs of the Srixons on eBay, but the cost per ball is less if you buy 12 or 24. Obviously...

I saw Srixons (can't remember which ball exactly) in Sports Direct the other day in a '24 balls for £16' deal. (I wasn't in there buying golf gear, I promise. I was looking for a 'yoof' to teach me the difference between "sic" and "sick".)

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im playing well at the moment and off a high handicap 21.1 Im using the Titleist DT SOLO and enjoying them good off the tee and not to bad around the green.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
the 4 balls to try are

Wilson DX2
Srixon Soft Feel
Taylormade Burner (new one)
Titlest DT Solo (new one)

The reason being that
(1) they are all dirt cheap
(2) they are sufficiently different that you will notice it (although 2 are on the soft side and 2 a bit firmer)

I've used 3 of them in medals and matches for some time and they do the job very well.

Nearly every other ball will loosely feel like one of these - it may perform differently (it won't be longer) but how it performs for you will be more down to you than the ball.

mactronix

Medal Winner
Visit site
the 4 balls to try are

Wilson DX2
Srixon Soft Feel
Taylormade Burner (new one)
Titlest DT Solo (new one)

The reason being that
(1) they are all dirt cheap
(2) they are sufficiently different that you will notice it (although 2 are on the soft side and 2 a bit firmer)

I've used 3 of them in medals and matches for some time and they do the job very well.

Nearly every other ball will loosely feel like one of these - it may perform differently (it won't be longer) but how it performs for you will be more down to you than the ball.

Thanks for that I have been drawn towards the Callaway X2 Hot as they seem to fit with my swing playing style etc however the Burner balls look to be more or less the same difference and £5 cheaper. I think I will start with those and the Srixon for a start.

Mactronix

John_R7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The 24 Srixon for £16 are Srixon Distance.

A little firmer but I have bought and got used to them over the last 6 weeks.
I currently have 4 dozen and will continue to buy & play. I shot scratch 73 two weeks ago and have came down to 10.9 so it cannot be that bad a ball!
I have about 4 dozen premium balls (2 doz brand new) in my storage but still use the Srixon Distance because it works FOR ME.

Do what you are thinking about. Decide how much you want to spend and try loads in that price range till you find what you like.

mactronix

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi just thought I would post an update,
I went to buy some balls the other day and decided on TaylorMade RocketBalz as well as some Burner balls as they didn't have the X2 Hot balls that I wanted to try.
I thought I would get on better with the burners as they are a lower compression and are meant to high launch balls ? quite how a ball decides what angle to take off at beats me ??
Anyway the Burners are not a bad ball as far as I am concerned and a whole lot better than the job lot of distance balls I used to get when I started.
The Rocketballz are in my view a little better, It could just be that I played batter for that round but they seemed to come off of the Irons better. Driving was about the same with both balls.
The long and the short of it is that I have been shooting around 112-120 pretty consistently and that's with the odd Mulligan thrown in.
I played properly with these balls and have now returned a couple of rounds of 107 (Burner)and 105 (RocketBalz)
It may be too early to say conclusively that its down to the balls but I wont be getting a job lot of mixed lake/Pearl AAA balls ever again.
Going to try a few more brands people have suggested to me here on the Forum before I settle on "My Ball" though.
Thanks for all the help and input.

Mactronix :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still think the AD333 and certainly the AD333 tour will both outperform the TM balls you've tried so far. Just try a sleeve of whatever takes your fancy over the next few months and I'm sure you'll find your own personal favourite

caboose

Hacker
Visit site
I am by no means an expert as I have only been playing a few months, but I just buy Titleist seconds from AG, 36 for £12.99. I will admit that some are utter garbage, but if like me you are good at losing balls, then this is one less thing to worry about when teeing up.. It doesn't help my local course has water EVERYWHERE.

From this, I know that I do get on with NXTs mind you; I either hit them well, or just happen to have them in play when I hit good shots ;)

mactronix

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well yes as I said its early days yet plenty of balls to still try. To be honest I think anything will be an improvement on the job lot balls I have been using.
Its really nice to get some hight and shape on shots.
For someone who struggled to get below 115 a few rounds ago its a real boost to be playing around 105 and having one or two high arching shots that drop onto a par 3 green 8 - 12 feet from the hole. :)

Mactronix