Ball position with irons

U

User62651

What are peoples thoughts wrt ball position for irons. I was at the practice area for a spell today and whilst I'm generally improving after a long layoff from the game my mid to long iron play (which was always the weakest part of my game) still feels iffy - some good, some dire. I was hitting 5 and 8 irons with mixed results. Never right, either straight, little left or a pull hook with bad ones.

Butch harmon/Sean Foley and others say have the ball in line with your shirt logo for all irons shots which is quite far forward I think.
Others instructors say the ball moves back in stance from near left heel with 3 or 4 iron to centre stance with wedge, maybe an inch per club. This is more or less how I've been approaching irons set up.

Looking for the best way to encourage a solid strike with irons from a solid body turn so the chest faces left of target by finish.

My irons shots have alway been a bit high and short for the club being used, used to have a weak grip which didn't help but now more neutral.

Thoughts - is Butch harmon right, I'm talking about one ball position for regular irons shots, not knock downs or pitches.

Last edited by a moderator:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
not much help but i never think about it. my 3 iron is definitely up in my stance and my wedge is further back. i find this is automatic when i set up and never gave it any thought

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ive always done the centre of my stance for almost all irons, i may move it for a different type of shot eg punch etc. Hybrids, wedges etc vary according to conditions etc

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
I am with you

7 iron bang in middle of stance and 5 iron maybe a ball to the left of that and PW a ball to the right

Maybe we should both be playing with one length!!

Ive always done the centre of my stance for almost all irons, i may move it for a different type of shot eg punch etc. Hybrids, wedges etc vary according to conditions etc