Ball position for Hybrids

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Slightly forward if you want a penetrating flight and a bit further back for a steeper flight with a softer landing.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm interested in this. My 3h is just about the only club in the bag that terrifies me.
I put it in the same place as for a 4 iron, but then it all goes wrong.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Off the tee I play mine the same as a 3 wood.
Off the fairway I play it about the same as a long iron, and take a small divot.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
cheers guys, i have tried it all over the place but never seem to get it right, and when i take it off the tee it just goes high in the air and doesnt go very far. i suppose it all depends on what loft your using too??

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I struggled with my 3 iron/wood hybrid for ages, and for a long time it was the forgotten club in the bag.

That is until I got some idea how to use it.

Firstly, it is not a wood. I used to try and hit it like a wood, ie by sweeping it off the grass......not good. All I do now is use it like a long iron and hit down on it with the ball positioned midway between my left foot and centre. As stated above, it gives a low penetrating flight. Towards mid stance gives a higher flight.

Try it you'll be surprised how good the club is.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try it you'll be surprised how good the club is.
I know. It's either all or nothing with my hybrid.....one shot a peach, the next pathetic.

I'd love to be confident with it. It's worse off the tee by miles.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I've also discovered much to my cost that it's quite difficult to hit the ball sweetly off fluffy lies. I tend to get well underneath the ball and just pop it up.

Apart from keeping the ball on the fairway, anyone got some good tips to prevent these embarrassing shots please?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
seems to be a common theme, I couldn't hit fairways and hybrids were, still are, a random thing. again mostly because I couldn't work out whether to hit them as fairway or an iron.
my pro told me to treat them as a fairway and sweep through - still can be a bit random but I'm coming to the conclusion that my set-up is far too variable.