Ball Marker Moved not Replaced in Correct Position

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In a match on a green I am asked to move my ball marker. I do so. We play out the hole.

On leaving the next green I become concerned that I might not have put the marker back to its correct place on the previous green. I think I did, but as I was very focussed on the match and playing the next hole some confusion, uncertainty and guilt entered my mind. I mention this to my opponent, and he hadn’t picked up any mistake, he assumed I must have moved it back. So no issue.

However, on the general situation, if we assume that I hadn’t moved it back is simply that the mistake is in the past as my mistake wasn’t picked up before we teed off next hole. By not intervening my opponent is deemed to be ok with me playing from the wrong place, and in matchplay context that is his prerogative.

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
In a match on a green I am asked to move my ball marker. I do so. We play out the hole.

On leaving the next green I become concerned that I might not have put the marker back to its correct place on the previous green. I think I did, but as I was very focussed on the match and playing the next hole some confusion, uncertainty and guilt entered my mind. I mention this to my opponent, and he hadn’t picked up any mistake, he assumed I must have moved it back. So no issue.

However, on the general situation, if we assume that I hadn’t moved it back is simply that the mistake is in the past as my mistake wasn’t picked up before we teed off next hole. By not intervening my opponent is deemed to be ok with me playing from the wrong place, and in matchplay context that is his prerogative.

For players such as you with diminishing short-term memory, don't forget the old trick - if you are asked to move your marker, turn it upside down when you move it and that will jog your memory.

salfordlad

Visit site

As we are talking generally, as Colin notes, the matter is normally closed after you start the next hole - because the opportunity for the opponent to seek a ruling (old language "make a claim") is no longer timely (see 20.1b(2)). But if your guilt and subsequent hole explanation relates to something that the opponent was not aware of - for example, if the opponent had no opportunity to see your breach - then the opponent may seek a ruling upon becoming aware of these new facts. Again, that new "seek a ruling" opportunity terminates with the next tee shot.

Steven Rules

Visit site
By not intervening my opponent is deemed to be ok with me playing from the wrong place, and in matchplay context that is his prerogative.
I have a different take on this.

SwingsitlikeHogan is correct that in match play an opponent may choose to ignore a Rule breach by the player. (Rule 3.2d(4))

But, at the same time, if the player knows he or she has breached a Rule and incurred a penalty then this must be declared to the opponent. It is not valid to say or assume "By not intervening my opponent is deemed to be ok with me playing from the wrong place" The opponent may not have been paying attention.

Rule 1.3b(1) Player Responsibility for Applying the Rules. Players are responsible for applying the Rules to themselves:
Players are expected to recognize when they have breached a Rule and to be honest in applying their own penalties.
If a player knows that he or she has breached a Rule that involves a penalty and deliberately fails to apply the penalty, the player is disqualified.

and

3.2d(2) Telling Opponent about Penalty. When a player gets a penalty:
The player must tell the opponent about that penalty as soon as reasonably possible, taking into account how near the player is to the opponent and other practical factors.
This requirement applies even if the player does not know about the penalty (because players are expected to recognize when they have breached a Rule).

Just because it is match play, it is not ok to see how much the player can get away with before the opponent notices or says something. (I am not suggesting for a moment that the inadvertent forgetfulness to replace a ball marker was a sinister attempt to hoodwink an opponent.)

As has been noted in other posts, there are circumstances where the penalty can be applied beyond teeing off on the next hole. Different scenario but Interpretation 3.2d(1)/3 illustrates how a match score needs to be corrected when a mistake/penalty from several holes earlier is discovered.

Rule 20.1b(2) and (3) tell us if the opponent was previously unaware the player had breached a rule (and failed to apply a penalty) there is no time limit on seeking a ruling - including after the result of the match is final. (Although as noted in other posts here, once the opponent does become aware of the player's breach, notification of intent to seek a ruling must be made before teeing off on the next hole.)