Ball Distance in Winter/Summer

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
That question has unmitigated possibilities, such as what compression ball etc

On average I reckon about 10-15 yards in the UK.

The biggest difference in ball distance is when you play for the first time at altitude, due to the air density the ball goes miles!!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use the old 10% rule of thumb, as most of us (i.m.o.) judge our distances by summer weather/conditions, I just plan for 10% less distance, and if I've got used to hitting certain clubs now, I'll expect to get 10% more in the summer, which might mean going down a club.

Roll can be over 50 yds on rock hard fairways. If my drives are around the 220 mark now (with bugger all roll), could conceivably get up to 270+ in the summer with roll.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It depends on things like wind speed ground conditions uphill/downhill and most importantly how well you hit the bloody thing.

I think the 10% rule is a pretty good rule of thumb. Personally I have 2 yardage charts for my course one for winter and one for summer. One both I write notes specific to club selection, bare/wet lies and mark different distances for lay ups etc.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I have 2 yardage charts for my course one for winter and one for summer.

I use the same book all the time......but, like you, I have various things marked on the pages. We have a par 3 where I have written 5 iron at the top of the page.....well, it's not a 5 iron in the summer!!! but as it's downhill the ball lands verticaly and plugs this time of year instead of hopping on....got to basicaly play for the back and hope for good/correct distance. Everyone else plays 7 irons and then wonders why they are short or in the bunkers???

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Dave

I tried one book but was confusing myself over which markings were winter and which were summer. Also because I've added my own distance reference points as well there was a lack of space on the page. I tend to use the Winter one from October to Easter and swap. Obviously if we get a dry/wet spell I'll make allowances

BlackDot

Hacker
Visit site
Ah yes the great carry debate!......depends on how the ball is struck does'nt it. A really good player will hit a drive with a degree of top spin draw. Extra 50 Yrds anyone? Now that's what i call getting a good bounce!

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I Cant really tell my self i've had so many swing changes that im naturally hitting the ball further now so im only about fiveyrds behind with my irons. I think its a bigger gap with the driver. maybe 30 yrds

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It is impossible to hit the ball with top spin, it would carry about 50 yards and drive itself into the ground. If you look at tennis, top spin brings a ball doing over 130 mph down within the length of the court.

A well hit drive should spin at about 2000 rpm back spin, which is just enough to keep it airborne. More than this and you limit run out. Less, and you reduce carry.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
depends on the wind , Currently i'm hitting 6i on our 160 yrd par 3, in summer i can normally carry it 180 with a full swipe !