Bag Rub

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So...

Bag Rub - what's it all about?
Browsing through certain internet 2nd hand sites, as I do from time to time, and remembering the extortionate amount of clubs that have been through my posession over the years, there's a hell of lot of graphite shafts that have been studiously and vigourously rubbed on the side of a golf bag.
How does this happen?
I've never, never, ever had one of my clubs suffer from bag rub
And before anyone saus "it's the new headcovers, they don't cover the shaft" I've had G10's and the like - using original headcovers and no marks on my clubs.
I thought all bags had a "graphite-friendly" top these days....

Obviously not.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep.

Worn bags and stupidly small headcovers are the cause.

I loaned a Rescue Mid with its tiny headcover and it returned with a rub.

My 3-wood has one from a previous owner.

Cosmetic only. My Father-in-Law used to put sticking plaster over the area on shaft where they frested on his ancient, but perfectly serviceable (and not worn) bag just to make sure it didn't happen.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So...

Bag Rub - what's it all about?
Browsing through certain internet 2nd hand sites, as I do from time to time, and remembering the extortionate amount of clubs that have been through my posession over the years, there's a hell of lot of graphite shafts that have been studiously and vigourously rubbed on the side of a golf bag.
How does this happen?
I've never, never, ever had one of my clubs suffer from bag rub
And before anyone saus "it's the new headcovers, they don't cover the shaft" I've had G10's and the like - using original headcovers and no marks on my clubs.
I thought all bags had a "graphite-friendly" top these days....

Obviously not.

ditto and I've had lots of clubs and bags

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a Callaway 3 wood in my bag for 15 years that was completely unmarked, and only replaced when I got a new Titleist 910 last year. Lent the Callaway to my old man and within six months the bag rub had completely worn through the paint and the lamination of the shaft. Club is now ruined.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The edges of the putter well on my power caddy PVC bag have frayed badly after only18 months, I intended to complain. Thanks for reminding me.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
My three wood snapped this summer - at the point where the shaft had rubbed. Relatively new club, and relatively new bag. And not the first time I've had a club rub.

But since I've started being more fastidious about pushing the sleeve of the head cover down below the rim of the bag - not a trace of rubbing.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Genuine question (may be stupid?). Would it actually affect anything other than resale value?

My TM's are a bit worn from my GM pencil bag where the metal was exposed but I've not had any intention of selling so not overly fussed. But I guess if it's continually rubbing the same spot it could start to dig away at the stability or whatever (obviously after a long while?)