Backswing fault found

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On my trip to re-build my failing swing we have found that my right elbow was tucked in to my ribcage even at the backswing, results were everything bad and apprearance of overswinging, off plane restriction etc etc

This came to light when we noticed my arms / hands were very low at the top of my backswing

When i got my rear arm and elbow into the correct position it felt so much easier and i can get to the top of my swing with higher hands and straight left arm

Would i be right in thinking that this right elbow tucked into my side would give me a multitude of faults as i am sure this is why my duck hook arrived ?

Thanks for any advice

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Would i be right in thinking that this right elbow tucked into my side would give me a multitude of faults as i am sure this is why my duck hook arrived ?

Thanks for any advice

I'm not too sure TBH. Bob, Brian or James are the people who you want to listen to.

All I will say on the matter is that a right elbow tight to the body doesn't affect this chap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZslbLBJJxHw

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your right elbow buried into your ribcage in the downswing will be a contributor to your problems. It can get the club 'stuck' behind you so that you fail to get it back to the ball on plane. It can certainly be a cause of your duck hooks.

Keeping the right elbow close to your side in the backswing is something used in a 'one plane' swing, it relied on good core rotation in the downswing to square the clubface though. It is a bad idea to mix up one and two plane swing methods.

I would suggest you look at some of the videos from 'Shawn Clements' he explains nicely how the body should get out of the way and how the arms are used. The attached video may help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q82hCQuuBn4

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks guys

Not sure if this fault has crept in after trying to keep connected but the feel and better position at the top of swing is huge a difference

After watching videos of other players i could see the difference was the right arm / elbow position compared to how i was