Back with an increased budget but could still do with a bit of advice....

Jaarus

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all,
I was on here a few months back asking for advice on trying to upgrade my irons from the awful freebies I was (and still am using) with a meagre budget of just £50.

Got some great advice on clubs that previously I had never heard of and was even offered a couple of sets via PM but for a touch over my strict budget so I declined.

Well as is the way of things, the budget then increased a bit and I 'won' a collection only auction on eBay for a set of Wilson Di7's and a cart bag. Soon after winning the auction I discovered that there are two towns with the same name and the clubs were at the other place, hundreds of miles away!

So I started my search again but then the weather started to improve and the final end price of sets of clubs has just shot up on eBay so my search became more and more fruitless.

(time passed)

Another year older :(
But a birthday did bring some birthday cash :)

So I am back and now looking for advice again on sensible club choices with my new budget.

Preferably looking for a 3-sw set (Personally I like using a 3 iron!)
for mid to high handicap
Aiming for around £100-150 ish - could be masaged a touch for the perfect set in amazing condition.

All club suggestions welcome (especially those with links to for sale listings!) hopefully there should be a few more to choose from now the budget has increased?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Always happy to recommend Mizuno MX23s.

There's a set on Ebay, for Buy it Now 139 or Best Offer. Stiff shafts which may not be suited.

When checking prices, check the Completed Listings are as you get what they actually sell for rather than 'current' bids. These days, with Snipes, the price often rockets in the last minute.

And a 'previous equivalent' is the MX17 which are around 115 or so.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have you considered golfbidder? a few sets at varying price levels. They won't be the new models but still some good clubs there.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would look out again for Wilson Staff Di7 or Di9 irons but they will be 4 iron start

I have a set of Di11 which i love and Ci9 which i keep for winter play

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
£150 will get you a set of MD Seve Forged 3-PW which are a very good set of irons

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MD-GOLF-S...Leisure_Golf_GolfClubs_JN&hash=item256e9e1d68

Alternatively you could get a good second hand set of TM, Callaway or Wilsons. I recently sold a very good conditioned set of TM R7's to for £130 so there are some bargains to be had if you are prepared to pay up to £150 as it is a buyers market

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would second the mx23's, or if you get lucky, the mx25's. I just picked up a set of regular shafted 25's on eBay for £139 plus postage. Got them for the brother in law who was looking to trade up.

Jaarus

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks everyone - will keep an eye out for mx23 / mx25. Mizunos always seem to be recommended - everywhere!
(must be something in it)

Always had a soft spot for Taylormade RAC but I am terrified of fake clubs on ebay and heard that fake TM clubs are rife on ebay...

Jaarus

Hacker
Visit site
<<< UPDATE >>>

Bought some clubs to replace my freebies!

The freebies that I have been using (complete set of Mitsushiba Tour Tech Series 2) I am pleased to say will now be passed onto another friend of mine who 'may' wish to fall into the golf trap :)
So we now have a free starter set (including bag and trolley!) to pass around to try and get more of us playing.

I looked for MX-23 but never found a set in good enough nick TBH whilst there were several sets of MX-25 within budget and I was sorely tempted until I came across a set of MX-20.
I went with the MX-20 in the end as it was (in my eyes at least) a bargain - got a 3-PW set in about 8/10 condition with R300 shafts and brand new Lamkin grips for..... £90

They should be arriving this week, cant wait to feel what a 'real' club should feel like compared to the absolutely sensationless Mitsushiba's!

Just thought I should update rather than disappearing into the ether :D

Looks like I will need a SW though as the incoming set goes to a PW at 46 deg. Most wedges seem to be 52 or 60 on the bay - so guessing a 52 to be a SW as surely a 60 is a lob?

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
<<< UPDATE >>>

Bought some clubs to replace my freebies!

The freebies that I have been using (complete set of Mitsushiba Tour Tech Series 2) I am pleased to say will now be passed onto another friend of mine who 'may' wish to fall into the golf trap :)
So we now have a free starter set (including bag and trolley!) to pass around to try and get more of us playing.

I looked for MX-23 but never found a set in good enough nick TBH whilst there were several sets of MX-25 within budget and I was sorely tempted until I came across a set of MX-20.
I went with the MX-20 in the end as it was (in my eyes at least) a bargain - got a 3-PW set in about 8/10 condition with R300 shafts and brand new Lamkin grips for..... £90

They should be arriving this week, cant wait to feel what a 'real' club should feel like compared to the absolutely sensationless Mitsushiba's!

Just thought I should update rather than disappearing into the ether :D

Looks like I will need a SW though as the incoming set goes to a PW at 46 deg. Most wedges seem to be 52 or 60 on the bay - so guessing a 52 to be a SW as surely a 60 is a lob?

Jaarus - a sand wedge is 56 degrees, I would avoid buying a 60 degree wedge at present. You may find you need a 'gap' wedge which would be 50 - 52 degree but maybe get the SW first and see.

Enjoy your new clubs!