Back to it :) Couple of queries please.

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all, been a while. I‘m just returning to golf after about 5 years away from the game. Just joined a club down here in Winchester and looking to get out regularly again. Had sold up and moved everything on since I last ppayed so treated myself to a new set of clubs too. Hoping that some touch comes back as I am all over the place at the moment!

Seems like a lot has changed over the last few years! Knee height drops, WHS and putting with the flag in etc. Is there anything else really big I should know about so I don‘t make a fool of myself?! :LOL:

I didn’t have an active round on the system since 2016 so I was required to put 3 cards back in and I have been given a 25.3 handicap index. I must admit it’s a little higher than I was expecting, even though the rounds I had marked weren’t great. I had provided my CDH number and prior handicap (19.3). I had expected I’d get given back a shot or to to account for being rusty and then suffer along until I could play to it.

Clearly I only have 3 rounds on the system at the moment. Should I be looking to put every round in until I have 20 on the system to get a “full“ handicap (not sure if that is the correct term?) or should I just get on and play competitions and let it naturally drop (I hope!) as I go?

Grateful for your thoughts :)

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks Iain. That little chart makes it very clear how it’s calculated. I guess I was just after what people’s opinion was on the matter was. Presumably the more rounds I get in the more accurate my index will be and also as I am playing more, my consistency should come back. I’m aware I need to preregister my intent to put a card in.

I guess the good thing with the new system is that it seems like you can come down much quicker than of old If you’re playing well. :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think one thing people are finding with the new handicap system is that it reflects your general play far more accurately and that can bruise the ego. Previously a single great round could drop you down and 5 poor rounds that followed barely made an impact. Now, the handicap is smoothed out more and is more reflective. The good news is that as you improve your handicap improves quite quickly with you (y)

The link below shows the key recent changes. A reduction to 3 minutes to search is one well worth remembering :D

https://www.randa.org/RulesEquipment/Rules/20RulesMustKnows

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all, been a while. I‘m just returning to golf after about 5 years away from the game. Just joined a club down here in Winchester and looking to get out regularly again. Had sold up and moved everything on since I last ppayed so treated myself to a new set of clubs too. Hoping that some touch comes back as I am all over the place at the moment!

Seems like a lot has changed over the last few years! Knee height drops, WHS and putting with the flag in etc. Is there anything else really big I should know about so I don‘t make a fool of myself?! :LOL:

I didn’t have an active round on the system since 2016 so I was required to put 3 cards back in and I have been given a 25.3 handicap index. I must admit it’s a little higher than I was expecting, even though the rounds I had marked weren’t great. I had provided my CDH number and prior handicap (19.3). I had expected I’d get given back a shot or to to account for being rusty and then suffer along until I could play to it.

Clearly I only have 3 rounds on the system at the moment. Should I be looking to put every round in until I have 20 on the system to get a “full“ handicap (not sure if that is the correct term?) or should I just get on and play competitions and let it naturally drop (I hope!) as I go?

Grateful for your thoughts :)

Which club did you join mate?

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
Also most places have prefered lies in bunkers and scorecards are no longer swapped.

During COVID you mean? That makes sense. I don’t think we have preferred lies, but we certainly don’t have any rakes out at the mmoment. We’re asked to smooth the sand back with our feet. I could be wrong though, I have only played a few rounds there so far and not with any regular members yet, so perhaps I just missed it.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
During COVID you mean? That makes sense. I don’t think we have preferred lies, but we certainly don’t have any rakes out at the mmoment. We’re asked to smooth the sand back with our feet. I could be wrong though, I have only played a few rounds there so far and not with any regular members yet, so perhaps I just missed it.

Yeah COVID restrictions, I would be amazed if you have to play it as it lies in bunkers, for the foreseeable...

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At my club, we have been using the 6 inch rule for preferred lies in bunkers with no rakes

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some nice holes on the course, I heard it had been sold for housing???
I'd heard that as well - is it still a Crown course? I've played it a few times in the winter, it was such a good draining course and you were almost getting summer run on the fairways

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Still no handshaking before or after round. Fist or elbow bumps seem still to be the order of the day.

Quite a few rule changes and others have provided link...for common ones I’ll pick out change in penalty if your ball hits you (usually rebounding off face of a bunker) or a double hit. Also the 5min ball search time is now 3min.

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd heard that as well - is it still a Crown course? I've played it a few times in the winter, it was such a good draining course and you were almost getting summer run on the fairways

Yes still a Crown course. I have been a member of a Crown course previously, but I think they have much fewer now? A few of the local ones I thought were Crown now seem not to be.

It does seem to drain very well. I played my first round the other week after that solid week of rain we had and you wouldn’t have known it had been wet. I‘ve played other places where a good week of rain would wreck a hole or two for weeks.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes still a Crown course. I have been a member of a Crown course previously, but I think they have much fewer now? A few of the local ones I thought were Crown now seem not to be.

It does seem to drain very well. I played my first round the other week after that solid week of rain we had and you wouldn’t have known it had been wet. I‘ve played other places where a good week of rain would wreck a hole or two for weeks.
That's right, Get Golfing have acquired a few of the old Crown courses - Pyrford, Sherfield Oaks (I have recently left there with about 12 others, as we didn't like the way it was going) plus a few others.
Oak Park was one but that's now closed as they couldn't agree on the lease with the leaseholder - the worry for the locals is that the land will be sold off for housing as it's prime real estate just outside Farnham. Bit sad as that is local to me and I used to go down & use the range.
Sherfield used to have a load of holes that were dreadful in the winter but played at South Winchester and it felt like a completely different season due to the drainage