Back spin.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe a bit of a daft question but how do you get back spin on a ball on to the green.
Ive done it once unintentionally.
After just coming home from work everything’s looks rock solid, so would probably help if I could learn how to do it.
Might be above my capabilities though....

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
it depends on the greens, the ball, the club and the strike.

but a shallow angle of attack with alot of loft will get you rocking

Last edited:

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
it depends on the greens, the ball, the club and the strike.

Is the correct answer.

I've not spun a ball all season til The Carrick on Monday, 9 iron to par 3, pitch mark was 15 feet ahead of the ball.

Tis a thing I always wanted with approach shots but nowadays I just want it to stop.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most of the videos I've seen, the person on the video is recommending a lofted club and a crisp strike behind the ball, it requires club speed to get the spin revs up.

If you manage it and don't bottle the shot, you have fair chance of getting some spin, but if like me you bottle it, at best you dunk it 2 or 3 yards at worst you skull it 50yds

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Always assume club head speed was important, that generates enough spin to make it spin back, at least on a shot from the fairway.

I can backspin from out of a bunker occasionally, always feels nice when see it zip back a little

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Is the correct answer.

I've not spun a ball all season til The Carrick on Monday, 9 iron to par 3, pitch mark was 15 feet ahead of the ball.

Tis a thing I always wanted with approach shots but nowadays I just want it to stop.

Id be delighted to just stop them but with this weather I’m assuming they will be bouncing 😄

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Years ago, Ian Woosnam opened the new driving range at Tilgate GC in Crawley.
I asked him how the pro's get to stop the ball so well. Even with a 4 iron they can stop the ball stone dead and get back spin.
He asked me how far I hit my 4 iron, and when I told him about 160 yards he replied "why the feck would you want to stop it?"

:mad::mad::mad:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The backspin that the Pros get, the ball sucking back 5-10 feet, is vastly overrated in our game.
The only time you want that amount of backspin is when you pitch close to or beyond the flag.
Most amateurs are short with approaches so backspin is the enemy.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Brian, TBH with the way most courses are playing around here there is little chance unless you are a fantastic ball striker. Even Torvean is playing like a firm links.

playing Nairn later and they have been heavily watering the course and greens, last time i played you couldnt stop the ball even with a crisp strike

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always assume club head speed was important, that generates enough spin to make it spin back, at least on a shot from the fairway.

I can backspin from out of a bunker occasionally, always feels nice when see it zip back a little

You're not taking enough sand then...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You're not taking enough sand then...

There are two ways of controlling distance out of a bunker, height, or spin. Height needs lots of sand, spin needs much less. Due to needing a cleaner strike, controlling with lots of spin is a risky option unless your ball striking is top notch.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The aim generally these days is to get drop and stop and not back spin. Drop and stop gives far greater control of distance than back spin.

The governing bodies have made the design of modern clubs such that the amount of backspin has been considerably reduced even for the pros. I used to be able to produce it with relative ease with my old square groove clubs but get relatively little with my new clubs.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice / comments.
Managed it twice today, unintentionally as I’m not consistent enough to know how to do it all the time.