Attack or defend?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many thanks to everyone who has responded. I have printed these pages out so I can refer back to this great advice. As I say, I think there are a lot of golfers who find themselves in a similar situation to me and they would do well to read these responses.
In reading I was reminded of when I enjoyed a few rounds with a 5 handicapper on holiday last year. He said that there was no way I should be playing off the handicap I was but I should concentrate on improving my iron approach play from 5 iron to wedge. At the time I didn't think much of it, but having read the advice on here and thinking back over a few recent rounds, I do think I should be hitting more greens and will need to if I am going to get lower. So I guess the question is, how do you hit a straight iron? I certainly know my distances, so that isn't an issue.
I learned about not playing the hero shot from trouble the hard way but the thought process of not making a double out of bogey had never really occurred to me. Just take a bogey and get out of there.
I know my chipping has been suspect and in need of improvement and I am working on this. Getting up and down makes such a difference to your overall score. A recent lesson was a revelation. The pro made it so simple. My technique was poor, probably from watching so much conflicting advice on YouTube. The problem is that I can spend hours on the practice green and start by duffing and blading them all over the place. But after the first 5 mins it's easy and I am chipping them around the flag chip after chip. But on the course you get one go at it once every 30 mins and you have to get it right. I guess we could put that down to more practice needed and a general lack of natural talent.
Thanks again for taking the trouble to respond. It is very helpful and much appreciated.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When I used to coach good young players in a playing round I always made them aware of where the trouble on a hole lay.
Sounds obvious, but wind change and weather can constantly change how you approach a hole.

Before each shot the question was asked.....where are you aiming, what shape do you want, where is the worst place you could end up after hitting your shot.
Most of these players were 3 to 9 handicap and it was staggering how little thought they gave to their shotmaking....most were on auto pilot.
We would be playing with our big hitting pro and at a short hole he would pull out an 8 iron whilst they would be using a wedge [because they always hit wedge at that hole] with no hope of reaching the pin...front of the green if lucky. They had not noticed a stiffening breeze into their faces.
I'd ask them, do you know what club the pro played, and would get a blank stare.

When playing the 8th hole we would ask them how deep the pin was on the 13th and they would not have a clue, despite walking past the green a few minutes earlier.

There is a vast array of ways a golfer can improve but the use of your brain is sometimes forgotten.

My grandfather was a great golfer who sadly passed away when I was 10 years old, the only bit of advice he gave me was 'play wi the heid son, it's the best wood in the bag'.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thats probebly a good way for you to practice Homer but just the word "stats" bores me:) I would much rather go out and play than practice not the best way to try to reduce a h/c . I do practice sometimes on the course if it's not busy chipping 3/4 balls on most holes. I watched your blog chipping from 50 yards which was a good idea I thought, but for me I couldn't go on a course just to do that I would have to play a round.

By doing the pitching challenge, you are playing. You tee off and hit into the green. I then simply play a second ball from whatever pitching distance I'm working on and try and get up and down. You can then hole out the original or play it out if the course is quiet. If I miss the green with the original ball, I'll play the pitch/chip/bunker shot and hole out. If I hit a GIR I'll just focus on the short game ball