At the risk of sounding thick,

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just reading the thread about ribbed grips. And Jim flog talks about moving your grip on the club for a draw and fade. How's that work. I cannot meaningly ( if that's a word) do either, so how does moving your hands on the grip contribute to either. I always thought it was wrist action or summat else that contributed to draw or fade. Or in my case, Topped it, knobbed it, Skyed it.

If answering, for gods sake keep it simple cheers Tash 👍

D

Deleted member 1147

Different people approach hitting shaped shots in different ways. Some change set-up, stance, grip etc

Personally I've never changed my grip to hit draw/fade. I change stance and how/when I release the hands through impact.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You move the club round in your grip to open or close the club face.

Close for a draw and open for a fade.

I am someone who works the shot out to in for a fade and in to out for a draw. Open stance for a fade and closed stance for a draw but the clubface always points at the target.

May be a bit of 'an old fashioned' method but I have been playing for over 40 years and my days of bashing balls down the range to practice have long since gone so I am not wiling to try a the new methods.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The grip determines the relationship between the clubface & the direction of the swing. Say every shot started right & faded this would mean the face was open at impact. A solution would be to move the left hand clockwise around the shaft & use the same swing. Now the face would be square to the swingpath at impact & the ball should go straight. If the ball starts left & also slices then it's likely swingpath & face are wrong. This explains it https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b..._AUIFCgC&biw=962&bih=601#imgrc=_lOFhAwXpzzR_M

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You move the club round in your grip to open or close the club face.

Close for a draw and open for a fade.

I am someone who works the shot out to in for a fade and in to out for a draw. Open stance for a fade and closed stance for a draw but the clubface always points at the target.

May be a bit of 'an old fashioned' method but I have been playing for over 40 years and my days of bashing balls down the range to practice have long since gone so I am not wiling to try a the new methods.

I would have agreed 15 years ago as that's what everyone thought/taught but that has since been proved to be wrong.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I saw Monty at a demo day and he said he never changed set up etc and all he'd do to hit a fade would be to point the face slightly right and then take his grip and swing normally and vice versa for a draw. I have used it and it does work

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Makes me laugh listening to amateurs talk bout swapping from a fade to draw like it’s easy to do on demand.

Then we see Dougherty asking the pros to demonstrate it & they struggle 🤷‍♂️😂.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Makes me laugh listening to amateurs talk bout swapping from a fade to draw like it’s easy to do on demand.

Then we see Dougherty asking the pros to demonstrate it & they struggle 🤷‍♂️😂.
A little unfair. Pro’s don’t struggle, for the most part they play 1 shape. Not wanting to hit the other shape, therefore design there swing around that.
It is easy to alter shape on demand, the issue is and always will be control.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I saw Monty at a demo day and he said he never changed set up etc and all he'd do to hit a fade would be to point the face slightly right and then take his grip and swing normally and vice versa for a draw. I have used it and it does work
I don't recall Monty ever hitting a draw! :):D

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just reading the thread about ribbed grips. And Jim flog talks about moving your grip on the club for a draw and fade. How's that work. I cannot meaningly ( if that's a word) do either, so how does moving your hands on the grip contribute to either. I always thought it was wrist action or summat else that contributed to draw or fade. Or in my case, Topped it, knobbed it, Skyed it.

If answering, for gods sake keep it simple cheers Tash 👍

To late Tashy, you had us at the 5 minute ball search 😂

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
If you just close the face and swing normally if you deliver the club back to the way it was at address you would technically be hitting a pull or a pull draw so it's not really a draw and it's the same for a fade. Learn to manipulate swingpath to curve the ball, once you learn that it's actually pretty easy, you only have to close or open the face if you want to curve extremes like hitting 20/30 yard hooks or banana balls round trees etc