Aspartame. . . .

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
... Or What the food companies don't want us to know

There are lots of differing opinions on the net about Aspartame & the effects. Those made indipendantly & those paid for by governments & the food companies. Where money talks.

But for anyone who hasn't made up their mind one way or another about the carsonegenic or methanol related problems with the product should still carefully read the ingredients of their soft drinks etc very carefully & try to avoid wherever posible this poison.

Would you drink Wood alcohol.... You wouldn't. But effectively that's what the US Government were giving their troops in the 1991 Gulf War as the symtoms are the same.... Well if the research is to be believed, probably worse than wood alcohol.

http://www.natali.co.uk/aspartame.htm

http://www.aspartame.co.za/

http://www.aspartame.com/mpvalley/index.htm

And if you don't look at any link look at this next one which sums things up nicely...
About E951 ... Aspartame
http://www.ukfoodguide.net/e951.htm

Aspartame is not the only aditive we need to be aware of but probably the worst of the lot & cutting this one out of the diet can mean certain health problems we might have put down to other things, we might realise was actually down to this poison

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I read years ago that Aspartame was developed from an industrial cleaner, and really not good for you. I try to avoid it where possible, unfortunately most soft drinks contain it these days, which is why I drink 7Up over Sprite, much rather deal with the real sugar problems than this crap.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cernunnos.....you have made my day......
Sometimes I feel like I wander around this country of some 60,000,000 people and suspect I'm the only one who's spotted (and could give a damn) something dodgy.

I first tried the diet coke with Aspartame in years ago and noticed 3 things. 1) it tasted inferior to everyday sugar 2) it made me thirsty (now there's a conspiracy theory) and 3) later on I got a headache.

Never touched it since.

I have thrown my toys out of the pram in ALL the supermarkets at some point or another because all their squashes and fizzies have it in and worse still, I've sent drinks back in restaurants and been challenged for "knowing" that the coke or lemonade has this horrible stuff in. I ordered a G&T somewhere posh once and specified not slimline, first sip, I asked for another....they took offence, I cancelled my table.....

I shall read your links (thanks for these)....after a few Vodkas and sugar-loaded lemonade....I think I'll need to be calm...

Good man.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
What I can’t understand is how they get away with this. I seems as long as it’s in very small amounts then it’s okay, even if it’s poison.

I don’t mean to change the subject but I laugh at beans with reduced sugar, as if they’re doing us a favour………..just don’t put it in and let the customer decide FFS.

CJD was another scandal derived from BSE infected spinal cord and animal brain being put in meat products. How food manufacturers got away with this is outrageous. We even had a government minister giving his child a hamburger saying it was safe.

Gordon Brown within days gave the banks heaps of money, I’m sure he could stop this at a stroke.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now, the thing that gets me about sugar free items apart from the fact that the replacement for the sugar does more harm than the sugar its replacing is the fact that the food manufacturers seem to feel sugar free still needs a sweetener of any sort.

surly sugar free should mean litteraly that. No sugar, no sweetener of any sort. Much in the way if I ask for a coffee & no sugar in a restaurant would I expect the coffee to come with a couple of sweeteners in it. No I wouldn't, as I wouldn't want it sweetened at all in any way, as I'd want to taste the coffee.

Of course getting back to aspartame, some manufacturers have taken to hiding it under different names in the ingredients list. Some of which can be found in some of the links provided.

Tomo21.... Erm I thought oh it must be Ok in small amounts to until after not having anything with aspartame in it at all I had a single Pepsi Max & low & behold all the nasty side effects reared their ugly heads once more. On reading some of those links myself I can see why this is so now. So try not to take the risk.

Thing is its not just soft drinks that contain these poisonous methol's but a whole range of foods one way or another & also explains certain things about some of the processed foods we eat. And will admit freely that still eat even though I know doesn't do me any good.

If I had a New Years resolution, it will be to avoid processed foods & try & find natural ingredients unsullied by pesticides if I can.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I worked for Tropicana my greatest achievement was getting Sunny Delight kicked out of Asda's stock profile. I was on a mission for 6 months trying to persuade store managers that Sunny D was nothing short of toxic waste. I asked each and every one if they allow their kids to drink it and they all said NO. My new pet hate is Fruit Shoots .... they should be called Fruit Sh1ts.

I am so glad my wee angel only like water and milk.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
the old margarine vs. butter argument is similar to this.

One has been made for centuries and is made from nothing more complex than milk.

The other is a hotchpotch of complex chemical freaks including hydrogenated fat which is a substance that doesn't occur naturally and the body cannot process to who knows what dertimental ends.*

I know which one i'll be sticking with.

*Many margarines are marketed on the basis that they help to reduce cholestoral and yet I read a book called The great Cholestoral con the other day which explains that the direct link between cholestoral and heart disease is at best tenuous.

It turns out that things called plateletts in the arteries (which occur when the artery is scarred and act like a scab over a wound- the detaching of which causes blood clots) are made from cholestoral and so scientists have decided that since platelettes are made of cholestoral that too much cholestoral causes them!

Bonkers.

My philospohy FWIW is to stick with the stuff we would have eaten 10,000 years ago. Meat, veg, fruit and unadulterated dairy products and you can't go to far wrong.

All of these hybrid products can't be good in the long run.

bill

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Platelets are good. I know this as I used to be a platelet donor which you can be too if your count is sufficiently high. Your platelet count can vary for lots of reasons and none particularly sinister and I stopped when my count dropped below the threshold. A friend of mine has a very high count and is hugely popular with the NBTS as she can donate every month.

They are especially useful in the treatment of leukemia and burns.

(Donating platelets is not the same as whole blood. You are connected to a centrifuge which processes about a litre, separating platelets, plasma and whole blood. You get the whole blood and most of the plasma back, which is why you can donate more frequently. Takes a bit longer but very comfortable and volunteers are always welcome. It also counts as a double donation.)

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I worked for Tropicana my greatest achievement was getting Sunny Delight kicked out of Asda's stock profile. I was on a mission for 6 months trying to persuade store managers that Sunny D was nothing short of toxic waste.

Good for you! i.i.r.c. Sunny Delight was a dash of fruit juice, loads of additives and a dose of vegetable oil....what a recipe....oil in fruit juice drink???

As for fruit shoots.....I've got mad with plenty of pubs that offer this to kids.....let's give our little'uns aspartame??? w.t.h. :D

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I worked for Tropicana my greatest achievement was getting Sunny Delight kicked out of Asda's stock profile. I was on a mission for 6 months trying to persuade store managers that Sunny D was nothing short of toxic waste.

Good for you! i.i.r.c. Sunny Delight was a dash of fruit juice, loads of additives and a dose of vegetable oil....what a recipe....oil in fruit juice drink???

As for fruit shoots.....I've got mad with plenty of pubs that offer this to kids.....let's give our little'uns aspartame??? w.t.h. :D

Am I alsoright in thinking there was quite a lot of controversy about Sunny D turning people & kids Orange like some sort of demented Umpa Lumpas...

Tried the stuff once when it first came out... wasn't impressed... Never bothered again.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My philospohy FWIW is to stick with the stuff we would have eaten 10,000 years ago. Meat, veg, fruit and unadulterated dairy products and you can't go to far wrong.

We'd best start flint knapping now then.... So where is the nearest heard of Hairy Mammoths currently. Not seen any sabre tooth tiger steaks in Morrisons yet, but there's always hope...lol