Artisan Golf

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Does anyone know what has happened to the artisan golf clubs in the SE

a couple of years ago there was quite a few, now google doesn't come back with much and what it does come back with ends up with 404 messages

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
They have been generally phased out as they were a relic of more feudal times where on the posh were members of clubs. The rest were allowed to play off peak in return for doing jobs on the course.

I thought you were in favour of modernisation?:ROFLMAO:

Sandy Lodge still has one. As does Swinley Forest and Sunningdale. I also think St George's Hill has one.
Getting rarer these days

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I know a club not far from me that binned them off because they were getting a lot of full membership enquiries.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
They have been generally phased out as they were a relic of more feudal times where on the posh played golf!

Sandy Lodge still has one. As does Swinley Forest and Sunningdale. I also think St George's Hill has one.
Getting rarer these days

given my finances it it pretty much the only way I can afford to be a member down here

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to be on the waiting list at West Hill.

Getting on the list in the first place was a case of 'who you knew' rather than applying to be one.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
They have been generally phased out as they were a relic of more feudal times where on the posh were members of clubs. The rest were allowed to play off peak in return for doing jobs on the course.

Getting rarer these days
St. George's Hill does still have one, but good luck getting in!

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Forgive my ignorance, what's an artisan club? Is it a club that's basically 'if you have to ask about membership, then membership is not for you'?

dronfield

Visit site
Here in Sheffield i think Lindrick had an artisans section, with their own clubhouse - as IanM has said, historically the agreement was that they did work on the course. I think also there was some sort of caveat that you had to live in the village to qualify for membership.
Assume there were restrictions re tee times etc.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Forgive my ignorance, what's an artisan club? Is it a club that's basically 'if you have to ask about membership, then membership is not for you'?
You get cheap membership and, often, restricted tee times and in return you put in a set number of hours work on the course per year.
Could divoting, collecting dead wood or helping greenkeepers with certain maintenance tasks
Harewood Artisans is about 600 quid a year but they have severely restricted tee times..The main club doesn't show fees on the website so they will be fairly substantial

Artisanfox

Visit site
Does anyone know what has happened to the artisan golf clubs in the SE

a couple of years ago there was quite a few, now google doesn't come back with much and what it does come back with ends up with 404 messages
We still have an Artisan section here at Harewood Downs GC in Little Chalfont, Bucks.
We have a small (23) current membership with zero waiting list.
We play Beaconsfield, Denham, Ashridge, Temple, Moor Park, Sandy Lodge, Huntercombe, Hadley Wood, Old Fold Manor, Royal Mis Surrey, Hartsbourne and Verulam.
If anyone is interested in joining our enthusiastic membership and wants to know more about how we operate please feel free to contact me and I will happily fill you in with the finer details.
I’ve been a member since 2008 and personally wouldn’t want full club membership even though I can afford it.
Long live the Arrisans!
Yes, Artisan golf is slowly and sadly diminishing but if you’re looking for regular recreational and competitive golf then here we are!

Attachments

• IMG_9266.jpeg
    IMG_9266.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 7