Artificial alignment aid or not??

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played with a (Senior 🤣) guy today who has tower tees of all colours tied together on a piece of string.

When he tees off, the string is stretched out on the ground, perpendicular to the line of play.

Looks very funny, but could this fall foul of rules about an illegal alignment aid?? 🤔

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, but would say it depends on the players actions.

If he puts the tee in and the straight line seems to appear, then fine.

If he purposely stretches the line to the playing line, I would say it is a breach of the rules

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played with a (Senior 🤣) guy today who has tower tees of all colours tied together on a piece of string.

When he tees off, the string is stretched out on the ground, perpendicular to the line of play.

Looks very funny, but could this fall foul of rules about an illegal alignment aid?? 🤔
If doing it on purpose yes imo.
If not on purpose then no.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Just going a bit deeper on this.

Rule 6.2b(2) says that the player must not make a stroke at a ball on a non-conforming tee or a ball teed in a way not allowed by this Rule.

The Definitions say, inter alia, that a tee must conform with the Equipment Rules.

The Equipment Rules (6.1) say that tees may only be tethered together for difficult turf conditions:

As an exception for difficult turf conditions, tees tethered together or to an anchor may be used during the round provided that the player does not align the tees or tether in such a way that could indicate line of play or otherwise assist the player in making a stroke.

I'd never heard of that before until I just looked it up, but the Equipment Rules tell me that tees may only be tethered together in difficult turf conditions, rather than as a matter of routine, convenience, or habit.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Rule 6.2b(2) says that the player must not make a stroke at a ball on a non-conforming tee or a ball teed in a way not allowed by this Rule.

The Definitions say, inter alia, that a tee must conform with the Equipment Rules.

The Equipment Rules (6.1) say that tees may only be tethered together for difficult turf conditions:

As an exception for difficult turf conditions, tees tethered together or to an anchor may be used during the round provided that the player does not align the tees or tether in such a way that could indicate line of play or otherwise assist the player in making a stroke.

I'd never heard of that before until I just looked it up, but the Equipment Rules tell me that tees may only be tethered together in difficult turf conditions, rather than as a matter of routine, convenience, or habit.
Only time I have seen them is on frozen ground.
Small rubber ones of different heights.
Never in a comp!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
P

Interesting. I'm sure you're not alone in not knowing that. 😉

Now, I suppose I should tell him?

salfordlad

Visit site
On Rule 4.3, it's all about intent. Using it to align, general penalty first time, DQ for subsequent use.

On the is it conforming to have tees 'tethered', there is a long history here. The R&A has historically not had any issue with such tees, the USGA has taken a more restrictive view. The words in the book now are the current version of this longstanding difference of opinion. My understanding is that the R&A has given regular rulings that take little notice of the "irregular turf conditions" restriction, that is, they have said no problem with using such a tethered tee providing there is no alignment skullduggery.

But I would think twice about using such a tee in a big event in the USA.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
On Rule 4.3, it's all about intent. Using it to align, general penalty first time, DQ for subsequent use.

On the is it conforming to have tees 'tethered', there is a long history here. The R&A has historically not had any issue with such tees, the USGA has taken a more restrictive view. The words in the book now are the current version of this longstanding difference of opinion. My understanding is that the R&A has given regular rulings that take little notice of the "irregular turf conditions" restriction, that is, they have said no problem with using such a tethered tee providing there is no alignment skullduggery.

But I would think twice about using such a tee in a big event in the USA.
I had discussed this with the R&A number of times prior to the rules change. The R&A justified their use on 'traditional' grounds.
More recent, informal conversations however confirm your comment re a more relaxed view than the USGA, citing potential loss of a single tee in longer grass as an irregular turf condition.

salfordlad

Visit site
I had discussed this with the R&A number of times prior to the rules change. The R&A justified their use on 'traditional' grounds.
More recent, informal conversations however confirm your comment re a more relaxed view than the USGA, citing potential loss of a single tee in longer grass as an irregular turf condition.
Gotta admire the practical streak there! But I get it, the historical USGA view makes limited sense.

PS The 'similar threads' section links to you advising on this same issue in May 2014!
P

Interesting. I'm sure you're not alone in not knowing that. 😉

Now, I suppose I should tell him?
I'd only be guiding/warning on the alignment assistance angle. Do not do this to assist alignment - and repeatedly placing it perpendicular would not pass the sniff test. Interestingly, deliberately placing the tethering line to assist alignment appears to breach both 4.3 and 10.2b(3) but these different rules bring different penalties. 4.3 is general penalty first offence, DQ any subsequent 4.3 breach. But 10.2b(3) is just general penalty each time it happens. Another significant difference is 4.3 breach only applies if the assistance is there when the stroke is made while the 10.2b(3) general penalty also applies even if the assistance is removed before the stroke is made. So which rule the Committee uses is relevant but I am aware of no official guidance that requires them to use one or the other - and the absence of guidance means they have discretion.

Last edited:

Arleneg

Visit site
As far as rules go, using a string like that could be seen as an alignment aid, which might be a problem in official play. For casual rounds, it’s probably fine.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As far as rules go, using a string like that could be seen as an alignment aid, which might be a problem in official play. For casual rounds, it’s probably fine.
As far as rules go, if it is used for alignment, it is an alignment aid and would be a problem in any play. Even in casual play you may be called out by an opponent or other player in your group who prefers to play by the rules.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As far as rules go, if it is used for alignment it is an alignment aid and would be a problem in any play. Even in casual play you may be called out by an opponent or other player in your group who prefers to play by the rules.
Yes especially if there’s a £5 on it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only time I have seen them is on frozen ground.
Small rubber ones of different heights.
Never in a comp!
I used to play on a links course and these were used by everyone in a cold snap. The ground would be too hard to get a tee in, it was the only way to tee a ball up. No difference whether casual or completion round.

Never any thought of using it as an alignment aid, I was naive back then 😄

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to play on a links course and these were used by everyone in a cold snap. The ground would be too hard to get a tee in, it was the only way to tee a ball up. No difference whether casual or completion round.

Never any thought of using it as an alignment aid, I was naive back then 😄
My mate had a small toffee hammer ( remember them )
He hammered a nail in the ground when frozen and we all put out tees in the same hole.

Now I just don’t play if frozen 😂