Are You A Potential Bandit?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
PBR: (11.4 - 8.1) = 3.3
IR: (14.3 - 8.1) = 6.2

Fairly representative of me I'd say. Although 4 of my counting rounds have been in my last 5 rounds so I was definitely in a run of form (I say was as I've not played in ages so have been restricted to range practice only).

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm seeing quite high PBRs and IRs for fairly low HCP indexes, which surprises me.
I'm higher (index 14.9) but my PBR is 1.5 and IR is 2.8 and would have expected better players to have generally lower figures. Maybe I'm an outlier?

It would be interesting to plot graphs of HCP index against PBR and IR to see if there's any kind of trend.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
It might signify that you did not do one of the calculations correctly. I could be wrong.

Here’s my calculation - coupled with the request for high handicappers:

Potential Bandit Rating = Handicap Index minus Best Differential

And

Inconsistency Rating = 8th Best Differential minus Best Differential

Me:

PBR = (32.5 – 32.0) = 0.5

IR = (37.2 – 32.0) = 5.2

So I had done the IR wrong. I’m also hoping/expecting scores over the winter to come down and get me into bandit territory! Some very good signs from recent social rounds.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Very interesting ratings there from the last two posts. This might help many change their perceptions of where the bandits are in terms of handicap range.
Still a very small sample though.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Very interesting ratings there from the last two posts. This might help many change their perceptions of where the bandits are in terms of handicap range.
Still a very small sample though.

I suppose the chance of me shooting a round of 90, 5-10 shots better than my handicap for 40-odd points is much higher than for a low handicap player shooting a round of 60. (Even though I’ve not done it yet!)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
If you plot the data on some graphs, it tends to demonstrate that golf is basically a random game:
1636199932517.png
1636199954935.png

The only way I got any kind of correlation was to compute a "Normalised Inconsistency Rating", dividing the IR by the HCP.
1636200052212.png
There is an obvious rogue data point here (Lump, HI 0.1); if we exclude him, we get:
1636200193744.png
And the remaining seemingly rogue data point is Kaz (HI 0.5)

So it would seem that my expectation that low handicappers are much more consistent relative to their absolute capability is completely wrong.
(Or maybe I'm no good at data analysis ;))

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
PBR 9.0 - 6.0 =3.0
IR 10.4 - 6.0 = 4.4

not sure what that means but when that 6.0 comes off in a couple of rounds those figures will look very different

Voyager EMH

Visit site
If you plot the data on some graphs, it tends to demonstrate that golf is basically a random game:
View attachment 39367
View attachment 39368

The only way I got any kind of correlation was to compute a "Normalised Inconsistency Rating", dividing the IR by the HCP.
View attachment 39369
There is an obvious rogue data point here (Lump, HI 0.1); if we exclude him, we get:
View attachment 39370
And the remaining seemingly rogue data point is Kaz (HI 0.5)

So it would seem that my expectation that low handicappers are much more consistent relative to their absolute capability is completely wrong.
(Or maybe I'm no good at data analysis ;))
My analysis was that we ought to have better things to do on a Friday evening. I will have to extend that to Saturdays.
We had better let @Lump and @Kaz know,
"You are both Rogues!" Please make more of an effort to conform with the data trends, if you don't mind.
Thanks for the graphs. Very pretty!

Voyager EMH

Visit site
PBR 9.0 - 6.0 =3.0
IR 10.4 - 6.0 = 4.4

not sure what that means but when that 6.0 comes off in a couple of rounds those figures will look very different
Straight into the seriously boring club when that happens. (Unless you shoot lower!) Hope you are looking forward to it.