Are You A Potential Bandit?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
OK, Really sorry to ask a stupid question but would somebody please explain what it means?
My figures are 2.8 and 4.2 giving a differential of 1.4. Realise the higher the more of a bandit but why please?

However my H I can change. is that relevant?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
OK, Really sorry to ask a stupid question but would somebody please explain what it means?
My figures are 2.8 and 4.2 giving a differential of 1.4. Realise the higher the more of a bandit but why please?

However my H I can change. is that relevant?
I believe you are taking this far too seriously. Relax, have a beer or something.

RichA

Visit site
PBR = 15.6 - 8.3 = 7.3
IR = 17.6 - 8.3 = 9.3

The day I shot my SD 8.3, my HI was 19.
Is there a prize?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
If @cliveb were to put you on his graphs, then you might have a better answer to your question than my mere opinion that you have hit the nail on the head there.
OK, I've added all the new data points, and here are the normalised bandit and inconsistency ratings:
1636281610624.png
1636281669401.png
Note that I've excluded Lump's data, because his ratings are so off the scale. His IR (61) is more than 23 times Kaz's (2.6), and his PBR (84) is 20 times hers (4.2). I suspect that -6 round was a once in a blue moon performance that has skewed his figures. But it's interesting that our two seriously low handicappers are the ones with the significantly highest ratings.

The additional data points support the earlier conclusion that higher handicappers are more consistent relative to their absolute capability and less likely to be bandits than the lower handicappers. This is so out of line with what I used to believe (and which I think the majority of golfers believe) that I reckon the correct conclusion is that we're measuring the wrong things.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The day I shot my SD 8.3, my HI was 19.
Is there a prize?
I can beat that. About 3 years ago when playing off 16, I did the back nine in 1 under gross. (Shame the front nine didn't match).
It was, of course, a day when my fairy godmother had nothing better to do with her time and will never be repeated.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
OK, I've added all the new data points, and here are the normalised bandit and inconsistency ratings:

Note that I've excluded Lump's data, because his ratings are so off the scale. His IR (61) is more than 23 times Kaz's (2.6), and his PBR (84) is 20 times hers (4.2). I suspect that -6 round was a once in a blue moon performance that has skewed his figures. But it's interesting that our two seriously low handicappers are the ones with the significantly highest ratings.

The additional data points support the earlier conclusion that higher handicappers are more consistent relative to their absolute capability and less likely to be bandits than the lower handicappers. This is so out of line with what I used to believe (and which I think the majority of golfers believe) that I reckon the correct conclusion is that we're measuring the wrong things.

Dividing by handicap is bound to reduce the ratings of the higher handicaps, that just hides the fact that higher handicap players are more likely to have big swings in scoring.

It's a fact that a higher handicap player has greater potential for a very low net score, this doesn't make them a bandit but it does seem to upset a small number of low handicap players.

What should be remembered (and what this survey isn't considering) is that high handicap players are just as likely, if not more likely, to have VERY HIGH net scores.

The better a golfer becomes the more consistent they become and so deviation from handicap becomes less, it's not rocket science. :)

Springveldt

Visit site
PBR (5.4 - 4.8) = 0.6
IR (5.6 - 4.8) = 0.8

I have 3 differentials of 4.8 and 5 of 5.6 as my current counting scores.

So I’m either captain of the boring club or the founder of the “Complete Bottle Merchants” club as I’m an expert at turning rounds that should be in the 2.x or 3.x into 4’s and 5’s.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
PBR (5.4 - 4.8) = 0.6
IR (5.6 - 4.8) = 0.8

I have 3 differentials of 4.8 and 5 of 5.6 as my current counting scores.

So I’m either captain of the boring club or the founder of the “Complete Bottle Merchants” club as I’m an expert at turning rounds that should be in the 2.x or 3.x into 4’s and 5’s.
Change "captain" to "world leader".

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Dividing by handicap is bound to reduce the ratings of the higher handicaps, that just hides the fact that higher handicap players are more likely to have big swings in scoring.

It's a fact that a higher handicap player has greater potential for a very low net score, this doesn't make them a bandit but it does seem to upset a small number of low handicap players.

What should be remembered (and what this survey isn't considering) is that high handicap players are just as likely, if not more likely, to have VERY HIGH net scores.

The better a golfer becomes the more consistent they become and so deviation from handicap becomes less, it's not rocket science. :)
And we ought to consider the vast number of say 12 to whatever-it-is-now handicaps compared with the relatively smaller number off say 6 and below. It is the perception of the lowers that highers are "winning more" but there are simply more of them. And maybe they weren't getting their fair share before.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And we ought to consider the vast number of say 12 to whatever-it-is-now handicaps compared with the relatively smaller number off say 6 and below. It is the perception of the lowers that highers are "winning more" but there are simply more of them. And maybe they weren't getting their fair share before.

This is true. Furthermore, the sense of injustice is accentuated by the very big winning score occasionally by the high handicapper, which the low man knows is well outside his reach. But like not acknowledging the high number of high handicappers being the real cause of the impression that high hadnicapper always win, the low man also doesnt realise that he is competitive more often than the high man. While he will not shoot the lights out, he will be in the mix for a win more often, especially under difficult weather conditions, a difficult course setup, or the pressure of a big competition, due to his greater consistency, and greater ability to handle difficulties.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes of course. But it was just my way of trying to get some kind of noticable trend, and wth the limited data available, it was the only option.
If you don't divide by the handicap and just consider the "raw" inconsistency rating, the data points are all over the place:
1636305695394.png
I think if we really wanted to get a good idea of index v. consistency, we should probably compute the standard deviations of the score differentials for all of the players' last 20 scores (not just their best 8). But I'm not volunteering to do that!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think we all know that we get to a level and that’s it .. you either need more practice or you have hit the limit of your abilities.
This is much more the case of the low handicap players .. sorry guys. The high handicappers are either players in decline or players with lots of room to improve.
The decliners can be dismissed from the equation but the improvers are the key .. they will eventually hit their limit.
What can we say, is as a low or at you limit player you are consistent and you will be in the mix .. just the improver might show up and you don’t win. ( but you all had these wins on your way down to your handicap)
The scratch comps give you opportunities but ultimately they are a brutal reminder of your limitations.. so getting low is nice but not necessarily going to yield the pleasures of winning.
Sorry .. just consumed a beer from Sweden called “a moment of clarity “ was very nice

D

Deleted member 21258

Heres three more data points for your graphs (for the family).

Player 1
PBR = (26.1 – 23.7) = 2.2
IR = (28 – 23.7) = 4.3

Player 2
PBR = (33.0 – 29.9) = 3.1
IR = (36.1 – 29.9) = 6.2

Player 3
PBR = (1.4 – (-2.1) = 3.5
IR = (2.7 – (-2.1) = 4.8