Are buggies lightning-proof?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Due to play later this morning, and there is a risk of thunder and lightning apparently.

One of my PPs gets a buggy, I'm debating whether to jump in with him.

I know cars are lightning-proof because of the metal roof / metal cage, does the same apply to buggies? I'm thinking that if a bolt does come out the blue, you're better in the buggy than pushing a trolley?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Should be fine but remember take a towel to dry the buggy seat. We're also booked to play an away open this afternoon, using a buggy .Forecast is heavy rain and thunder storms :cry: so we'll decide nearer our tee time to cancel or not .
Good chance the course will be flooded and the comp cancelled .

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
With a thunderstorm usually comes rain, a buggy will get wet, water conducts electricity.

You might get a little more protection sat in a buggy but I know where I'd be in a thunderstorm, and it's not in a buggy out on the course.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
With a thunderstorm usually comes rain, a buggy will get wet, water conducts electricity.

You might get a little more protection sat in a buggy but I know where I'd be in a thunderstorm, and it's not in a buggy out on the course.
So do you think they should they stop cars driving during thunder storms.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
why would you want to be anywhere near the golf course if there is lightning about?

the bbc are forecasting thundery showers from 3pm onwards. metoffice not forecasting and thunder/lightning. we are teeing off just after 11, so the risk of getting caught looks fairly low.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
the bbc are forecasting thundery showers from 3pm onwards. metoffice not forecasting and thunder/lightning. we are teeing off just after 11, so the risk of getting caught looks fairly low.

then just do as you normally would, keep an eye on the weather/ a radar and decamp to the bar if the lightning appears in the vicinity :)

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have thought that if you've waving a metal rod around every couple of minutes, whether the buggy offers protection against lightning is neither here nor there!

The only benefit is a speedier return to safety I guess.

I have an app on my phone, "Lightning", which provides an alert if there is a storm anywhere close. Obviously not much help if you get struck by the first bolt of lightning, but useful to see if there's any electrical activity around

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would have thought that if you've waving a metal rod around every couple of minutes, whether the buggy offers protection against lightning is neither here nor there!

The only benefit is a speedier return to safety I guess.

I have an app on my phone, "Lightning", which provides an alert if there is a storm anywhere close. Obviously not much help if you get struck by the first bolt of lightning, but useful to see if there's any electrical activity around
All golf clubs should have a lightning warning system, we use a klaxon horn.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
So do you think they should they stop cars driving during thunder storms.

Inside a car you don't usually have a connection with the wet exterior.

I'm not saying that they should stop cars driving during a thunderstorm, nor that they should stop golf buggies, it's up to the driver of each to determine the danger involved.