Are buggies lightning-proof?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I have used a buggy hundreds of times, I have never been struck by lighting. Ipso facto with a dash of schoolboy logic it must mean they are totally lighting proof :unsure:

;)

D-S

Visit site
In the US where they have frequent thunderstorms, every time we have played and a storm has come in they have brought all players in to the Clubhouse area or designated lightning shelters with Klaxons or warning notices flashing on screen in the buggies. I have never heard of anywhere just advising to stay in the buggy/cart.
So my advice is don’t try it.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
the bbc are forecasting thundery showers from 3pm onwards. metoffice not forecasting and thunder/lightning. we are teeing off just after 11, so the risk of getting caught looks fairly low.

weather forecast was totally wrong, no sign of any thunder and lightning, and no sign of the torrential showers that were forecast either, just a hot sticky sweaty day.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
General lightning question - what's the safest way to get off the course? Apart from quickly of course!

The trees are the tallest things on the course so likely to be hit. And when they get hit, they explode, so you don't want to be near trees. On the other hand, if you're out in the open then you become the tallest thing around, so you don't want that either.

So is there a preferred method, or is it just leg it and hope that you're slightly taller friend will be a lightning rod for you?