Apple Car Play

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anybody have any direct experience of this? Thoughts?

I'm thinking of retrofitting it to my BMW 4 series.

Don't use it anymore as I'm android but have android auto

Best thing they have added to cars in years

Never use in car maps as Google or Waze via the system is amazing and live traffic

Can download podcasts to phone then listen via car.

Can stream music if I want

Reads texts out which is helpful

Worth it imo

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not that great TBH, I find the iDrive system better. But I suppose it depends on why you want it.

As I have the native Spotify app and use that for music I really didn't find much use for it.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I think it depends how well developed the in car system you have already is.

For me, Car Play (and Android Auto, with my wife's phone) are a revelation, for all the reasons listed by @pauljames87. However, I've friends with cars which could be a described as a little more snazzy (than a Dacia Duster!) and their own in car systems - and the 'standard' integration with their phones - are great. I would say though that I've not yet met a built in satnav that's a patch on Apple/Google maps for live traffic updates.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it depends how well developed the in car system you have already is.

For me, Car Play (and Android Auto, with my wife's phone) are a revelation, for all the reasons listed by @pauljames87. However, I've friends with cars which could be a described as a little more snazzy (than a Dacia Duster!) and their own in car systems - and the 'standard' integration with their phones - are great. I would say though that I've not yet met a built in satnav that's a patch on Apple/Google maps for live traffic updates.

I like how I can take either car out like now going out with kids so juggernaut is ready

Plug in.. will have my maps and podcasts ready

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have a bmw with it and another without it.. absolutely love it. Like @pauljames87 mentioned, I no longer use in-car sat. Very useful when I can seamlessly move from mobile Waze to car screen. The iDrive gps is pretty much useless when it comes to live updates (remember the days when we used to pay for in car gps). I don’t use any other apps like sporty etc. Previously have used office but found it too clunky.

When I got another bimmer, got into a big argument with the sales fellow to say I wanted it and he said you should specify it. I thought I had, but never checked it when I signed off. Pretty difficult to understand what is included or not with the various ‘packs’. So they took the car back to see if they could retrofit. But returned it saying the current car did not have the hardware to support it. I could go third party and retrofit for a few grand extra. So went on Amazon and bought a phone holder to hold the phone with Waze. I did not see the point in modifying the car just for GPS. Esp since it already has one. Also the last time I buy a bmw from him.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have a bmw with it and another without it.. absolutely love it. Like @pauljames87 mentioned, I no longer use in-car sat. Very useful when I can seamlessly move from mobile Waze to car screen. The iDrive gps is pretty much useless when it comes to live updates (remember the days when we used to pay for in car gps). I don’t use any other apps like sporty etc. Previously have used office but found it too clunky.

When I got another bimmer, got into a big argument with the sales fellow to say I wanted it and he said you should specify it. I thought I had, but never checked it when I signed off. Pretty difficult to understand what is included or not with the various ‘packs’. So they took the car back to see if they could retrofit. But returned it saying the current car did not have the hardware to support it. I could go third party and retrofit for a few grand extra. So went on Amazon and bought a phone holder to hold the phone with Waze. I did not see the point in modifying the car just for GPS. Esp since it already has one. Also the last time I buy a bmw from him.

I end up now planning routes on my phone and for example at the gym before work or going down the 18th before work I'll check the traffic and see if I need to leave right away or can go for a drink after the round / can take time to change at the club or shower at work

Plug into the car and like magic my route is started

I like how when I get in it gives me places I go often

For example get in my car says work is X amount time and golf is 10 mins

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks gents. It's the navigation and route stuff I really want - the native iDrive is not the best. Trouble is mine needs a hardware addition given its age, which adds to price.

Mudball - take a look at https://www.bimmer-tech.net/ they have a nifty tool that will tell you from your VIN exactly what it would take to upgrade your car.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do you have an old BMW because the idrive system for bmw is the best in car set up of any I've seen. I use Apple Car play for my current car and pine badly for my beemer back.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

I had a Merc GLA that came with it included. When I upgraded last year, I assumed the new one would come with it too, it didn't. When I spoke with Mercedes, they said you have to specify when ordering and couldn't be retro fitted.

It had it's issues at times, needing reboots on occasion, but I found it more useful than I thought I would at first. It's easy to send messages by voice, the car had no DAB so ran the absolute radio app through it. I also had no satnav so Google Maps was a great add on when it finally integrated. I was a bit annoyed when I found it not included in the new motor, I thought I would miss it, but actually I don't. The new one has "Hey Mercedes", can use voice to control most functions, DAB and satnav are standard, and I can still use Google maps on the phone if I want to.

All said and done, it is useful, but not sure I'd want/ need to put it in if it wasn't already there.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a Merc GLA that came with it included. When I upgraded last year, I assumed the new one would come with it too, it didn't. When I spoke with Mercedes, they said you have to specify when ordering and couldn't be retro fitted.

It had it's issues at times, needing reboots on occasion, but I found it more useful than I thought I would at first. It's easy to send messages by voice, the car had no DAB so ran the absolute radio app through it. I also had no satnav so Google Maps was a great add on when it finally integrated. I was a bit annoyed when I found it not included in the new motor, I thought I would miss it, but actually I don't. The new one has "Hey Mercedes", can use voice to control most functions, DAB and satnav are standard, and I can still use Google maps on the phone if I want to.

All said and done, it is useful, but not sure I'd want/ need to put it in if it wasn't already there.

I find it barking mad that some of these are not standard on high end German cars while the Koreans offer them as standard.
I went into meltdown when the sales guy said ‘oh you did not specify CarPlay’ even though my existing car had it + the demo car had it. I know it is my mistake but but…. Caveat emptor

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks gents. It's the navigation and route stuff I really want - the native iDrive is not the best. Trouble is mine needs a hardware addition given its age, which adds to price.

Mudball - take a look at https://www.bimmer-tech.net/ they have a nifty tool that will tell you from your VIN exactly what it would take to upgrade your car.

Tnx has a look.. came up with USD pricing on the phone. Will check again. I put the last bits of VIN to check but it only says BMW X series, does not say what I can do with it … will check again

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Do you have an old BMW because the idrive system for bmw is the best in car set up of any I've seen. I use Apple Car play for my current car and pine badly for my beemer back.

It's a 64 plate. The iDrive is great once you get used to it, but the sat nav itself is miles from Google maps IMO

RichA

Visit site
I have an iPhone. My wife has an Android phone.
Our Golf has wired Android Auto and Apple Car Play. Our BMW has wireless Apple Car Play.

Both are excellent and I wouldn't buy another car that didn't have the option. I never use the inbuilt sat nav anymore because it can't compete with Google Maps. Nice to have your entire music collection immediately available too, as well as WhatsApp and text messaging.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hate it, I ended up disabling it ony phone. You're driving along using your car sat nav, plug in the phone to charge it or listen to music and the next thing there's Google maps and all sorts of guff appearing ?

Google maps is way better (up to date with superb built in traffic info and re-routing based on traffic) than a car system.

I've had a few MINIs, they do not even offer Android Auto and charge hundreds for Apple Carplay. Free on much cheaper cars.