Anyone switch from interlock to baseball grip ?

jmcp

Visit site
Hi,

due to a steady increase in Arthritic pain in my fingers I am considering switching from my usual interlock grip to a baseball grip and I was wondering if any of you have made this switch yourself and whether it was successful or not ie didn’t have a detrimental affect on your golf ?

Cheers, John

Reactions: CJL

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi,

due to a steady increase in Arthritic pain in my fingers I am considering switching from my usual interlock grip to a baseball grip and I was wondering if any of you have made this switch yourself and whether it was successful or not ie didn’t have a detrimental affect on your golf ?

Cheers, John

Sorry to hear about the pain chap, sounds rough. There is no reason you can’t migrate but the grip is one of the hardest things in golf to change imo. It’s so easy to fall back into old habits or want to when feeling like things are going wrong. Have a look at padraig Harrington’s YouTube channel and he speaks about the grip in that. Given what he says my advice would be if you are going to make a change that fundamental, go see a pro and explain it to them.

Hope the change allows you to enjoy a lot more - pain free - golf ?️‍♂️

CJL

Visit site
I've not been playing very long and I've always used the interlock grip.

Recently though I've been experimenting in the house with the baseball grip and it feels great (not hit a ball yet) feels like I'm more attached to the club and I'll have more control.

Just need ranges courses to reopen to hit a few balls

evemccc

Visit site
I used the baseball but had a lesson with a pro who suggested interlock or Vardon - from the minute I changed to Vardon, I’ve never once swung a club using the baseball grip.

It soon felt very natural

I wouldn’t change TO baseball unless for pain or health reasons

D

Deleted member 3432

I used the baseball but had a lesson with a pro who suggested interlock or Vardon - from the minute I changed to Vardon, I’ve never once swung a club using the baseball grip.

It soon felt very natural

I wouldn’t change TO baseball unless for pain or health reasons

Why did pro suggest changing grip out of interest?

I have used a baseball grip since I learned the game as a junior and no pro has ever suggested changing grip during a lesson.

evemccc

Visit site
Why did pro suggest changing grip out of interest?

I have used a baseball grip since I learned the game as a junior and no pro has ever suggested changing grip during a lesson.

It was during or even after the first hole of a playing lesson.

He basically said something like, you’ll do okay with the baseball grip, but there’ll be a quicker plateau

In all honesty I don’t remember exactly what or why he said it. I just know that for a couple of holes it felt weird but I never changed back and it became natural quicker than I thought it would

But then I was v new to golf so wasn’t ‘that’ used to baseball - ie nor like it was years embedded

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've used baseball nearly all my golfing life. I've tried the others but it didnt last. Lose all feel around short game too if I'm not using baseball.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've used all 3 grips in my time. Starting with interlocking but it caused a sore knuckle so I change to overlapping. I haven't got very big (or strong) hands so then changed again to baseball. As stated, I find this gives me more control over the club.

AAC

Visit site
Hi,

Cheers, John

John

I have EXACTLY the same problem, I broke my wrist 50 years ago and it wasn't set to well, I now have arthritis in my wrist and principally in my right index finger. I have always played with an interlocking grip, however last year during a lesson to try an suppress the J Arthurs I asked my pro what he thought about a grip change, his view was try it and see, I immediately liked the baseball grip and it (for me) leaves me with less residual pain in the wrist/hand, so I have stayed with it. The J Arthurs are still lurking somewhere in my swing !!

I hope you find something which helps you.

D

Deleted member 21258

I did, due to interlocking hurting the little pinky.

Didnt have any problems in swapping, felt weird to start with but not for long and results were quickly the same as before.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
John

I have EXACTLY the same problem, I broke my wrist 50 years ago and it wasn't set to well, I now have arthritis in my wrist and principally in my right index finger. I have always played with an interlocking grip, however last year during a lesson to try an suppress the J Arthurs I asked my pro what he thought about a grip change, his view was try it and see, I immediately liked the baseball grip and it (for me) leaves me with less residual pain in the wrist/hand, so I have stayed with it. The J Arthurs are still lurking somewhere in my swing !!

I hope you find something which helps you.
Was it a Scaphoid injury?
I had a shattered scaphoid as a boy playing in goal.
Never set properly and had a bone graft from my elbow at 16 yrs old.

Any way I have been swinging a orange whip in the garden and it hurts after a while .
I have gone to a baseball grip with no problem.
Not sure I could do it on the course.
I think it’s just the repetitive swings in the garden, so shouldn’t be a problem on the course.

To the lads that have done it.
Is it strange ?
Does it affect your accuracy?
Any downside to it?

jmcp

Visit site
Thanks for the replies folks, sounds like swapping to another grip style is not as uncommon as I thought it would be. I have broken through one reason or other a few of my fingers and some more than once, also my my wrist, all mostly over 40 yrs ago and I suspect I am paying the price for it, had painful hands/fingers etc... for a number of years but since I have come back to golf, especially winter golf, they really flare up, they are bearable in the summer.

Golf is such a complicated game and I have avoided changing to a baseball grip as it’s yet another swing type change (I’m constantly tinkering) but definitely going to give it a go and see how it works out.

cheers, John

jmcp

Visit site
As with the way we hold it, the actual grip of the club can make a difference with no real right or wrong.

I've read a few, mainly older, guys with hands/finger issues saying they've benefitted from larger grips, sometimes the softer rubber type which absorb the impact more. Might be worth a look.

Thanks Traminator, I have already gone down this route, I have been using mid size Winntac grips for the past 3-4 years and before I discovered them, I was just about to give golf up again as I struggled to drive home safely after a round as I couldn’t hold the steering wheel properly so I had a chat with my club pro and he suggested the winntac grips and they made a huge difference.

Part of my problem is that I play a lot of golf or at least when the weather permits and I also like to go to the driving range when possible so I am really my own worse enemy.

Cheers, John

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember VAS think it was Cleveland .
Vibration Absorbing System was it Corey Pavin played them?
Do any modern oems make anything like this.?

AAC

Visit site
Was it a Scaphoid injury?
I had a shattered scaphoid as a boy playing in goal.
Never set properly and had a bone graft from my elbow at 16 yrs old.

Any way I have been swinging a orange whip in the garden and it hurts after a while .
I have gone to a baseball grip with no problem.
Not sure I could do it on the course.
I think it’s just the repetitive swings in the garden, so shouldn’t be a problem on the course.

To the lads that have done it.
Is it strange ?
Does it affect your accuracy?
Any downside to it?

Blimey !, your not me are you, it was the scaphoid and it was broken by a boy landing on it when I was 11 & playing in goal. I have never been able to bear weight on it whilst its flexed (ie doing a press up, which I do with the left hand as normal & the right in a fist).

It did feel strange for a few swings but I have taken it onto the course with no problem, my game is still pants but a least its one less source of pain to concern me.

I haven't noticed any loss of accuracy (ie I am still inaccurate) & can't see a downside for me, my days of playing golf are numbered as I have scoliosis of the spine which limits how often I can play & I guess will ultimately stop me from playing but atthe moment I am able to exercise to keep its effects to a minimum.

TheBlackCat

Hacker
Visit site
I had a lesson about 12 years ago where the pro suggested I switched from an overlapping grip to a baseball grip and have never regretted it. Very quickly found it a much more natural grip for me.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Blimey !, your not me are you, it was the scaphoid and it was broken by a boy landing on it when I was 11 & playing in goal. I have never been able to bear weight on it whilst its flexed (ie doing a press up, which I do with the left hand as normal & the right in a fist).

It did feel strange for a few swings but I have taken it onto the course with no problem, my game is still pants but a least its one less source of pain to concern me.

I haven't noticed any loss of accuracy (ie I am still inaccurate) & can't see a downside for me, my days of playing golf are numbered as I have scoliosis of the spine which limits how often I can play & I guess will ultimately stop me from playing but atthe moment I am able to exercise to keep its effects to a minimum.
Yes I have always had problems with mine.
Went for the ball and striker kicked my wrist.
Press-ups we’re ok when younger but later on as you say ,even getting up off the ground have to use my fist.
I am pretty straight and I worry it will affect this but might give it a go .

AAC

Visit site
Yes I have always had problems with mine.
Went for the ball and striker kicked my wrist.
Press-ups we’re ok when younger but later on as you say ,even getting up off the ground have to use my fist.
I am pretty straight and I worry it will affect this but might give it a go .

I guess now is as good a time as any to experiment, if it doesn't work you can always go back to your old style. Good luck with it.