Anyone switch from interlock to baseball grip ?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I was always baseball (20 odd years), but tried interlocking (really painful fingers), and eventually settled on overlapping, which is my current grip. I would go back to baseball quite happily. Give it a try. Changing grip doesn't take as long as many think.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am surprised to see quite a few have migrated to baseball grip which is something I am considering.
I had a tough year on the course last year and I was having trouble with keeping my grip stable. This caused me to buy a SKLZ grip trainer (highly recommended) which was a revelation but I also had lessons with a new pro who really wanted me to change from interlock to overlap (Vardon). I tried hard but ultimately didn’t manage it as it made my fingers sore. In practicing I found myself trying baseball and found it very comfortable. The pro is not in favour of this though.

I read somewhere that Vardon is a good grip and favoured by most pros because it takes a finger of the dominant hand off the grip and therefore helps to neutralise the power of both hands. In this theory baseball would do the opposite as it has 10 fingers on the grip, so not good for someone who draws or hooks the ball, like me. Which is maybe why the pro isn’t in favour. That said, interlock effectively takes a finger of each hand off the grip, so in theory there would be no difference between interlock and baseball in this regard.

Like many I started with baseball 30 years ago and in some respects I feel like I may be going backwards and baseball does seem frowned upon in golfing circles. That said, in practice I seem to strike the ball well with it, it’s comfortable and I find it easier to put my hands in the positions the SKLZ grip trainer advocates. Above all for me, it’s more stable.
So, I am going to give it a go, though when actually on the course I will be interested to see if I automatically revert to interlock . Practice is one thing, playing on the course is entirely different.

RichA

Visit site
Been playing for decades on and off, but only speaking from personal experience, definitely not expertise...
Plenty of hand injuries, including a broken metacarpal a year ago that has left me with a bony lump in my palm and a bit of arthritic discomfort on early mornings.
Switching to softish midsize grips has helped me. Vardon grip if it's cold and early; interlocking once I warm up, as it stops me slipping into a too strong left hand.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Played baseball and it ended up causing my hands to slip and I had a permenant bruise on one hand.

Changed to interlock and it never happened again. Sticking with this for now but I may play about with it this year and see what works best.