Anyone Bought Fake Gear?

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Before I knew much about golf I bought some Callaway x22's online from a shop that said it was based in Florida. Turned out it was Chinese and fakes. To be fair the clubs did me well, but as soon as I realised I bought my Mizuno irons from AG so I knew I had geuine clubs.

It's silly really, but knowing they were fake made me think I was playing worse.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I bought a lovely set CallawEy irons from the U.S.A. They worked fine.... for a while, then they started to fall apart.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
bought a scotty off ebay which I knew was fake as soon as I unwrapped it. I bought it used and at the market price so not like it was a new one for £40.

took it up with the seller who got really indignant and called me a jobsworth and all sorts. he sent me links to odd sites to try and convince me it was genuine, but couldn't explain why a magnet would stick to a stainless steel putter.

in the end got the full refund via paypal and then the seller apologised to me for the inconvenience??????

D

Deleted member 18588

Once bought a "Callaway" driver on ebay that proved to be dodgy. The embarrassment came when after a couple of weeks I sold it to a mate and the sole plate came adrift.

I took it to a club repairer who immediately identified it as a fake. Refunded my mate his money and pursued the ebay seller for my refund. Lesson learned!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought some fake pink castles from ebay, i knew they were fake as i measured them against the ones i bought in american golf, and these were 2mm shorter. ruined my game for months....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not saying it wasn't a fake but some stainless steels are magnetic, nickel stainless steel for instance.

not sure why you think a scotty wouldn't stick to a magnet?

I have 3 real scotties all came from Pro shops that are scotty dealers, all will have had magnets stuck to them. My mate has a scotty that has been referb by scotty Cameron in the states and that is def magnectic as he is forever getting ball markers stuck to the bottom of it when he presses them down on the green

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
not sure why you think a scotty wouldn't stick to a magnet?

I have 3 real scotties all came from Pro shops that are scotty dealers, all will have had magnets stuck to them. My mate has a scotty that has been referb by scotty Cameron in the states and that is def magnectic as he is forever getting ball markers stuck to the bottom of it when he presses them down on the green
That has to cost him a few shots in penalties surely?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
A couple of years ago I bought a Taylor made Superquad head from Germany On EBay. I got a shaft fitted & took it to the range. It was going well when, suddenly, I couldn't hit it more than 100 yards. When I inspected the head there was a crack running three quartets of the way round the face. Cost me a bit to return it to Germany but I got a full refund.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
:confused: That's not what I said.

I said that some stainless steels are magnetic, so saying that a Scotty is fake because a magnet sticks to it isn't necessarily true.

Sorry i didn't mean you, the other guy who said it was fake because a magnet stuck to it. Unless his Scotty was solid gold of course;)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not wanting to go off topic but that shouldn't cost him any penalty. Pressing it down with the putter is directly attributable to the process of marking the ball. Replace with no penalty. Decision 20-1/6

off topic is much more fun :)

yes and no

the section in bold in your sentence is not accurate. "A player marked the position of his ball with a coin, lifted the ball and pressed down the coin with the sole of his putter." is the specific wording of the decision you reference and in such a situation the answer is yes.

if a player, having previouly marked his ball, subsequently chooses to tap down his ball marker and it becomes attached to his putter and moves, he would be liable to penalty (the no bit).

hence in my post the use of 'recipe for penalties' rather than 'penaties galore' or similar...

however, I agree my somewhat cryptic attempt at a clever comment could mislead and I should have been clearer over a rules matter....sorry.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sorry i didn't mean you, the other guy who said it was fake because a magnet stuck to it. Unless his Scotty was solid gold of course;)

a magnet will not stick to a genuine stainless steel scotty Cameron. its the easisest way of spotting a fake putter in any of the scotty Cameron stainless steel ranges. some Scotties are made from carbon steel and magnets will stick.

some stainless steels may well be magnetic, but not the ones used by Cameron. if it is one of his stainless steel lines, and it holds a magnet. it is a fake.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
a magnet will not stick to a genuine stainless steel scotty Cameron. its the easisest way of spotting a fake putter in any of the scotty Cameron stainless steel ranges. some Scotties are made from carbon steel and magnets will stick.

some stainless steels may well be magnetic, but not the ones used by Cameron. if it is one of his stainless steel lines, and it holds a magnet. it is a fake.

Which ones are Stainless steel? the 3 putters i have and my mates are all studio select.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Which ones are Stainless steel? the 3 putters i have and my mates are all studio select.

studio select were milled from 303 stainless steel. 303 stainless steel is austenitic and has very low magnetic properties so will not hold a magnet unless it has been extensively cold worked.

the genuine studio select I bought from AG does not hold a magnet, nor do any of my studio stainless or studio designs. I'm not going to make any comment on a putter I haven't seen, but the below is from the Scotty Cameron website itself.

"A good test if you don’t know the type of steel used for your putter (carbon or stainless) is to hold a magnet up to your putter’s face. If it’s stainless steel, the magnet won’t stick; if it’s carbon steel, the magnet will stick. You can always call the Custom Shop if you need help."

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
bought some nike shoes off ebay in 2010.
They were heavy, very heavy and cracked staight across the bottom after about 6 months. Wasn't too bad until the weather turned and your feet would be soaked.

Replaced them with genuine Footjoys and now own 5 pairs of genuine golf shoes, which I rotate depending on weather and course conditions (i.e. 2x black shoes, 2x white shoes with a combination of soft and hard spikes, 1x spikeless shoes).

G

guest100718

Triggered from another thread.....

Has anyone bought gear, particularly from Ebay or similar, thinking it was genuine, only to find out/be informed that it was Fake?

No shame involved - except perhaps if from one of the obviously Chinese websites!

no.