Any suggestions for comfortable, wide fitting shoes?

BooTheMightyHamster

Visit site
I only took up golf in May, after being given a set of clubs that had been 'doing the rounds' for about a decade, in a bag that had seemingly been home to a family of mice for a while. I've therefore been buying some basic kit without the benefit of much experience. A new bag, a push trolley, polo shirts, shorts... all of these were fairly safe purchases. As for shoes, I took the recommendation of our club Pro, and have a pair of Footjoy spikeless.

I suffer from ingrowing toenails, and have recently replaced my everyday trainers with a pair of Vivobarefoot shoes, which have thin soles and a very wide fit, which allows your toes to spread naturally, and I absolutely love them. While the FJ's were reasonably comfortable for the first few months, I've just come back from 18 holes and I feel like my feet have been in a vice!

I appreciate that the point of a golf shoe is to keep your foot in position, so having a very loose shoe is self-defeating, but I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a pair of comfortable, wide fitting golf shoes, please? I can definitely visit a few shops and try some, but there are hundreds of shoes out there, and no one shop will stock them all. I've heard good things about Skechers. Good place to start? I'm a UK size 10.5.

Cheers!

Boo

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Footjoy do several widths .
If you go to a shop with a brannock fitting machine you can order anything you like.
But make sure what you order has a full rounded toe last.
You can even get different sizes for left and right feet , lots of golfers have different size feet.
Go to Footjoy .com their website is really informative.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clogs. If a bit narrow they can be easily adjusted with a chisel ?

Seriously though, I have never had a problem with Footjoys or Ecco shoes. Adidas I have always found to be tight.

BooTheMightyHamster

Visit site
Just a quick update.
I ended up going for two pairs:

Spiked - Under Armour HOVR
Spikeless - Footjoy Pro SL

Both were 11 (half a size up from my usual size) and both in a wide (E) fitting.

It's remarkable how much more comfortable they are - I can play three times in a week with no trouble at all (well, foot-wise, anyway) whereas previously I would have been hobbling about for a day or so.
Many thanks for all the suggestions!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just a quick update.
I ended up going for two pairs:

Spiked - Under Armour HOVR
Spikeless - Footjoy Pro SL

Both were 11 (half a size up from my usual size) and both in a wide (E) fitting.

It's remarkable how much more comfortable they are - I can play three times in a week with no trouble at all (well, foot-wise, anyway) whereas previously I would have been hobbling about for a day or so.
Many thanks for all the suggestions!
I was told by a Footjoy fitter the pro sl are quite narrow in the toe.
I got the FJ Straus and they are fantastic.