Any Percy Throwers on the forum?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I called into B&Q earlier for some bits and bobs, I thought I'd have a look at the plant section while I was there, walked out with two Acer Palantum Atropurpureum, an Acer Palantum Orange Dream and a red Cordyline thing which looked cool.
They're tiny at the minute, I assume I keep them from getting massive by restricting the pot size I transplant them to and pruning?
I'll check out the size of the pots I have when I get a chance.

Make sure you keep them somewhere sheltered in winter particularly if you live in area with strong winds is the cordyline thing is a phormium similar applies .

I lost all my Australasian plants in the snows of 2008.

Ornamental Acers in the main a fairly slow growing worth reading here
https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popular/acer/japanese-maples/growing-guide

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Make sure the pot/planter is well drained... I like using taller planters and whap a load of peashingle in to start... Helps with drainage as was well as helping preventing the plant to be blown over...

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Make sure the pot/planter is well drained... I like using taller planters and whap a load of peashingle in to start... Helps with drainage as was well as helping preventing the plant to be blown over...

Ok thanks mate, I bought some perlite for a lighter mix and to help with drainage, I'll grab a bag of peashingle as well (y)

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I love Acers, and have a 6 in a corner of the garden. after visiting that website I might be getting some more!

Just to let you know, if you are thinking of ordering from there, I am awaiting a delivery from them. the order was placed almost 4 weeks ago.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of my new Acers is looking a bit ill, it had a few dried clawed leaves when I got it home from the shop and I thought it would pull through once repotted. It seems to have got worse and another is also showing similar signs of clawing.
Google seems to throw up multiple possibilities so I'm a bit stumped, plus I'm not sure if it's just a natural thing with these plants anyway. Can't see it being nitrogen toxicity as it hasn't really had any sort of feed.
Suppose they're cheap enough to replace if it dies but it's a bit annoying.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of my new Acers is looking a bit ill, it had a few dried clawed leaves when I got it home from the shop and I thought it would pull through once repotted. It seems to have got worse and another is also showing similar signs of clawing.
Google seems to throw up multiple possibilities so I'm a bit stumped, plus I'm not sure if it's just a natural thing with these plants anyway. Can't see it being nitrogen toxicity as it hasn't really had any sort of feed.

I tend to buy my plants from a garden centre that gives a guarantee for that sort of problem did they have offer similar where you bought them?

It may have been simply not being watered during the period of closure.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks mate, I'll see how they fare over the next week and take it from there.
I've read a bit more about Acers now, they don't like strong winds and lots of sunshine. I've put mine on the south facing garden with just about full sunshine all day, and although less windy than the other side of the house it can still blow through a bit where they are ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've read a bit more about Acers now, they don't like strong winds and lots of sunshine. I've put mine on the south facing garden with just about full sunshine all day, and although less windy than the other side of the house it can still blow through a bit where they are ?

Very likely to be based on too much sun exposure and prob not enough water at the same time. One of ours got very singed last year and looked all but dead, is pretty much back to normal this summer in a shady more sheltered spot

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Just to let you know, if you are thinking of ordering from there, I am awaiting a delivery from them. the order was placed almost 4 weeks ago.
I've used them a lot and they are simply 'totally snowed under'! As they are a 'pure internet' business, I think folk have gravitated to them as opposed to even mail order suppliers who folk may believe aren't open (but they normally are). Their last email stated that they had had 5 times the orders compared to the same time last year and were even working a 'night shift'! I'm waiting on quite a few deliveries from several suppliers - including an Acer to fit below a 'standard' one I got from GE and, as someone has commented, Acers works well, in a corner with a couple of others (edit..It's just arrived!). (Dwarf) Rhododendrons also work well in most places and the flowers don't attract bees 'excessively' (and only last a relatively short time). They can also be planted in pots/containers. Percy Wiseman and Red Jack are a couple of my 'favourites'. In a previous place, I surrounded a pure (Snow) white one with 'the seven dwarfs'!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Might be frost burn, this is when a late sharp frost is followed by a warm early morning sun.
You can sort this out by getting up early and giving plants a light hose down with water.
If it s frost burn, like many of my shrubs ATM :( don't worry as plant will quickly recover.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

I'd agree with the diagnosis of lack of water, especially if it was still in the garden centre pot which might be a little on the small side so would dry out easily.
Ornamental Acers are more prone to this as they're usually more on the tender side, the shriveled leaves will not come back, part shriveled ones will survive but look unsightly for the rest of the year.

If the plant is strong and healthy you could defoliate the whole thing and new leaves will burst forth, but as it's a new plant it's probably not strong enough for this right now.
I'd just leave it and make sure it's well watered. Re-potting is a stressful time for tress as well so best left alone this year and enjoy it fully next year.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm waiting on quite a few deliveries from several suppliers - including an Acer to fit below a 'standard' one I got from GE and, as someone has commented, Acers works well, in a corner with a couple of others (edit..It's just arrived!).

Mine arrived yesterday, I had no communication that the item was on it's way, nevermind all sorted now.