Any Percy Throwers on the forum?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I need a bit of gardening advice if there are any out there.
I've created a vegetable patch on my back garden which is going fine, in front of that were two sections (about 2m X 4m and 1m X 2m) which had s couple of small bushes and roses there. I've dug it all out and put 20mm gravel on top to make it look cleaner and easier to maintain.
We need a few plants to sit in pots on the two gravel areas, this is where I'm stuck, I don't know what will work in the British weather and will be easy to maintain.
My only remit, no flowers, I don't like bees and stingy things ??

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Most plants have flowers, those that dont can be quite boring apart from ornamental ivy and grass.

A few miniature /small shrubs would do the trick maybe try bay skimmia, berberis, cotoneaster.
Good luck, what veggies are you growing,
Try cut and come again salad successive sewing crops for quick easy food,
Plant carrots alongside onions/shallots to help stop carrot fly

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I love Acers, and have a 6 in a corner of the garden. after visiting that website I might be getting some more!
We had a late frost/wind combination on Sunday night which has damaged many plants shrubs and even trees. Luckily I took my Acer in to the garage.
The neighbours Camelia which was starting to look lovely took a big hit as did some of my shrubs.

OP another suggestion for your pots is a dogwood, prune it well and you get lovely coloured stems thought the winter.
We have also had a great success with Heucheras, assorted colours look great in a bed or in pots. The new types seem to winter really well. A wee bit pricey but well worth the money.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We had a late frost/wind combination on Sunday night which has damaged many plants shrubs and even trees. Luckily I took my Acer in to the garage.
The neighbours Camelia which was starting to look lovely took a big hit as did some of my shrubs.

OP another suggestion for your pots is a dogwood, prune it well and you get lovely coloured stems thought the winter.
We have also had a great success with Heucheras, assorted colours look great in a bed or in pots. The new types seem to winter really well. A wee bit pricey but well worth the money.

I am fan of dogwood as well for that lovely winter colour

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Various small conifers, pittosporum, fatsia (the variegated are a nice contrast too), grasses (carex or similar), acers (red flamingo my fav), coprosoma (the dark red version is especially good) are the main ones we have that dont really flower, all are evergreen apart from the acers i think

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Make it useful get a couple of patio fruit trees and put them in pots. Something on a dwarf root stock (Malling 27) in a 50 cm pot.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wow, thanks for the replies, loads to investigate.
I really like those Acers which Bob posted, lovely looking thing.

DfT, I've got radish, beetroot, lettuce, sweetcorn, carrots and garlic chives starting at the minute. My mate has some squash/pumpkins and runner beans for me in his greenhouse which he's going to give me once the time is right. Proper newbie at this, I'm sort of in my mates hands at the minute.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

DfT, I've got radish, beetroot, lettuce, sweetcorn, carrots and garlic chives starting at the minute. My mate has some squash/pumpkins and runner beans for me in his greenhouse which he's going to give me once the time is right. Proper newbie at this, I'm sort of in my mates hands at the minute.

The chives also make decent flower bed plants if you let them flower, a bit like sea pinks, easy to split up and they grow vigorously.
When I did the school outdoor garden the kids used to love then.
PS If growing mint best in a pot/container. I struggle with sweetcorn up here
Those little four shelf plastic greenhouses are great, cost about £15. Secure it to a south facing wall if poss and away you go. Takes up very little space.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Your going down the right road, worth watching Monty Don on Friday. You will need flowering plants for the bees if you going down the veg route. There more frightened of you than you are of them.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your going down the right road, worth watching Monty Don on Friday. You will need flowering plants for the bees if you going down the veg route. There more frightened of you than you are of them.

Thanks mate, I'll stick it on record and try and learn something.
We've got lots of other flowering plants all around the rest of the garden, the missus has me under strict instructions not to grim reaper any more ?
I'm getting a new decking fitted over the patio in front of the veg garden, so my main reason for avoiding flowers etc is not having a rogue wasp flying into my Chardonnay ?
Main problem at the minute is our cat loving the new area of soil and using it as her own personal litter tray ??

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I called into B&Q earlier for some bits and bobs, I thought I'd have a look at the plant section while I was there, walked out with two Acer Palantum Atropurpureum, an Acer Palantum Orange Dream and a red Cordyline thing which looked cool.
They're tiny at the minute, I assume I keep them from getting massive by restricting the pot size I transplant them to and pruning?
I'll check out the size of the pots I have when I get a chance.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I called into B&Q earlier for some bits and bobs, I thought I'd have a look at the plant section while I was there, walked out with two Acer Palantum Atropurpureum, an Acer Palantum Orange Dream and a red Cordyline thing which looked cool.
They're tiny at the minute, I assume I keep them from getting massive by restricting the pot size I transplant them to and pruning?
I'll check out the size of the pots I have when I get a chance.

The acers will be pretty slow growing anyway so dont worry about them getting too big too quick, the Cordyline you can prune as and when needed

(re the acers we have 2 palmatums that we bought at 2 feet tall 18mths or so ago, they are approx 3 feet tall now, gives you an idea of how slow they will grow at least initially)