Any mathematicians out there?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been asked to help with a friend's daughters maths homework. It's expanding and simplifying brackets. The two questions are to expand and simplify the following...

4m(3 + m) and 2(t -6)

For the first I've got as far as 12m + 4m2 <-----that's 4m squared. Can it be simplified further?

The second one I've got 2t - 12 <---------Is 2t - 12 the same as t - 6?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been asked to help with a friend's daughters maths homework. It's expanding and simplifying brackets. The two questions are to expand and simplify the following...

4m(3 + m) and 2(t -6)

For the first I've got as far as 12m + 4m2 <-----that's 4m squared. Can it be simplified further?

No . ( try the calculation with t being , say, 50 to see why) (Edit :am referring to second part only. )

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It just goes to show a lot of ages on here. There was a time when I would have done that quite easily but 50+ years is along time to forget it all.
I always knew I would never really use my OND and ONC maths.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It just goes to show a lot of ages on here. There was a time when I would have done that quite easily but 50+ years is along time to forget it all.
I always knew I would never really use my OND and ONC maths.

Strictly speaking I think the first statement must be written as a quadratic 4m2(squared) + 12m

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well, 'simplifying' (eliminating) brackets would result in expressions being equivalent to... '12m + 4m-squared' (or '12m + 4m*m') and '2t - 12' respectively.

As for you question re 2t-12 equalling t-6....No, it's twice that value, which is why the brackets and the '2' being outside them means.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've sort of got an answer for you mate.
I sent the message to my daughter who is currently studying A level maths, her mother is a 6th form maths teacher.

Here goes...What you've posted in an expression, you can't simplify expressions, you can simplify it if it is equal so something else but only then.
So what you've done is correct, as a standalone equation so would be 4m2 + 12m and 2t-12.
You cannot simplify it however it can be factorised if that's what you mean?
They seem to think some other part of the original equation is missing which would allow you to simplify it.

Phew :ROFLMAO:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

4m(3 + m) and 2(t -6)

The answers are 12m + 4m^2 . This is still a quadratic function, the order is not important but it could be re-written as 4m^2 + 12m.

The other is 2t - 12.

These cannot be simplified as you cannot change its value as it is an algebraic expression. The questions are not well worded.

Check out corbettmaths or bbc bitesize websites for easily accessible help.

I'm a secondary Maths teacher BTW.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The answers are 12m + 4m^2 . This is still a quadratic function, the order is not important but it could be re-written as 4m^2 + 12m.

The other is 2t - 12.

These cannot be simplified as you cannot change its value as it is an algebraic expression. The questions are not well worded.

Check out corbettmaths or bbc bitesize websites for easily accessible help.

I'm a secondary Maths teacher BTW.

Described much more eloquently than I ever could ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone actually used Algebra out of school ?

There was a period of time when I worked in engineering that I did. However I reasonably quickly got on to the management side so stopped needing it.

I would have if you work in computer programming for some sides of that it is essential.

I still use the more basic stuff quite often, particularly in working out how hard to hit a putt and at what angle on those tricky down hillers.