another rule question

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
you address the ball and take a swing. durring the swing you decide to abort. is there a point when it still counts as a stroke. i once saw tiger stop at the top of his back swing and walk away?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I saw Harrington do this once as well. Provided your playing partners (or rules official in Harringtons case) agree that you deliberately aborted the swing and made no attempt to hit the ball rather than an air shot I believe there's no penalty.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with Region3. The definition of a stroke in the Rules is

"A "stroke" is the forward movement of the club made with the intention of striking at and moving the ball, but if a player checks his downswing voluntarily before the clubhead reaches the ball he has not made a stroke."

Also

Decision 14/1.5 - Intent to Strike Ball Ceases During Downswing; Club Not Stopped But Path of Clubhead Altered to Avoid Striking Ball

"Q. A player begins his downswing with the intention of striking the ball but decides during the downswing not to strike the ball. The player is unable to stop the club before it reaches the ball, but he is able to swing intentionally over the top of the ball. Is the player deemed to have made a stroke?

A. No. The player is considered to have checked his downswing voluntarily by altering the path of his downswing and missing the ball even though the swing carried the clubhead beyond the ball.
If the player had not successfully checked his downswing (i.e. he had struck the ball), he is considered to have made a stroke.
Any doubt regarding the player’s intent must be resolved against the player."