Another provisional question

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I outlined on Slab's thread in The Lounge, this situation arose recently:

Standing in the middle of the fairway on our 11th, I hooked a 5iron approach into the junk. Dropped another (declared it a provisional ;) ) and did the same again. Dropped another one, again declaring it, and did it again, so dropped and declared yet another which I managed to bunt onto the front edge.

I ended up finding all three in the boondocks and made a 5 with the first ball. If I hadn't found any of the 3 in the junk, I'd have been playing 9 with my next shot and, assuming I took 2 putts, would have made 11.

My question is, was 5 the right score? Can you play more than one provisional? Or is there some other formula for working things out once you make a backside of your first provisional?

The reason I ask is that in responding to Slab's post, I realised that I had hit 8 shots on the hole. In retrospect, signing for a 5 feels like a got away with something.

Last edited:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can play as may provisionals as you want, or, until you run out of balls. In my case I would get about 6 more goes, but looking at the other thread (what's in your bag?) some could be stood there for about an hour:)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think you're ok

Didn't Jaidee hit 12 shots in a Tour event last year but only scored a 5 or something similar....?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As said, you may play as many provisionals as you wish.

If you find any of the balls, the one that was played first is the ball in play. You get the S&D penalty for any you played before it. Any played after are ignored.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah he did but that was to do with overhead power cables, where you have to replay the shot regardless of result.
Can I just ask for clarification here. If your shot hits an overhead power cable you HAVE to replay it, even if you like where it ends up? Why the compulsion?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can I just ask for clarification here. If your shot hits an overhead power cable you HAVE to replay it, even if you like where it ends up? Why the compulsion?

It is usually a local rule on the card that if you strike an overhead cable then you MUST play another ball with no penalty. It does not usually apply to the pylon though.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is usually a local rule on the card that if you strike an overhead cable then you MUST play another ball with no penalty. It does not usually apply to the pylon though.

The specimen LR does allow for the pylon/supports to be included.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

the local rule should be worded that way because the reason for it is that hitting the powerline is considered to be 'beyond a rub of the green' ie potentially unfair.

it would be inappropriate therefore, to introduce a rule that protects a player from bad fortune, but enables him to take advantage of good fortune, were it to occur.

that's the logic as I understand it

however, the exact same situation can apply in a number of static situations (GUR, IO, etc) but then again you don't get to replay your shot if the ball hits an Obstruction in flight!