Another one for the plumbers - sticking cistern

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I wonder if anyone out there can help. The cistern in my Father in Law's sticking closed when it flushes. Eventually the float will drop but not immediately.
The make of the unit is Grohedal.
Does anyone know how I can fix it and stop it from sticking? A photo of the unit is below.
Thanks in advance.
Groheda Cistern.jpg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
edited
To me it looks like a simple case of an ill fitting inlet pipe. Not enough room for the blue cap and it is pushing the inlet pipe over. Best suggestion would be to fit a better fitting inlet valve.

The inlets valves do not necessarily sit in the middle of the hole on the cistern and there may be some scope for moving it over slight but be wary of leaks.

Widening the hole where it is rubbing against the white inlet pipe (bit Heath Robinson but may do the job).

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks like things might be improved if the blue float was sitting a bit more anticlockwise (so its long axis is more parallel to the side wall) Might perhaps be achieved by just loosening the upper blue cap a fraction( ie so the arm is pointing more directly at the camera). Might work, but also might need an extra washer in there to keep the seal.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Looks like things might be improved if the blue float was sitting a bit more anticlockwise (so its long axis is more parallel to the side wall) Might perhaps be achieved by just loosening the upper blue cap a fraction( ie so the arm is pointing more directly at the camera). Might work, but also might need an extra washer in there to keep the seal.
Thanks I think the issue is at the top of the valve as when I move the white arm you can feel it sticking at the top where the white arm good into the blue cap rather than at the float.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another issue could be a buildup of limescale on the moving parts inside the mechanism - which could make it stick. If you can isolate the supply easily, you could try taking it apart & descale.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Another issue could be a buildup of limescale on the moving parts inside the mechanism - which could make it stick. If you can isolate the supply easily, you could try taking it apart & descale.
I think I'll have to do that. Although I live in Scotland so there's not a lot of limescale build-up up here but something is certainly sticking. There's an isolation valve below the cistern so it could be the valve. The trouble is that it's for the Father in Law and I can't have it not working as he has dementia and mobility issues and so nowhere else to go, in both senses.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think I'll have to do that. Although I live in Scotland so there's not a lot of limescale build-up up here but something is certainly sticking. There's an isolation valve below the cistern so it could be the valve. The trouble is that it's for the Father in Law and I can't have it not working as he has dementia and mobility issues and so nowhere else to go, in both senses.

If you are going to fit a new one at some time I have cheap more compact one going spare. (Managed to find a supplier for a new washer for the existing one)
Yours for £8 in postage
DSCN3898.JPGDSCN3897.JPG