Another driver loft thread - but intersting findings.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ok my driving is pooooor. I generally hit one or two fairways on a round. So I took a few lessons, driver sort of sorted but I was just not happy with my driver as I felt it was lagging behind.
I own 2 drivers - a Ping G10 - 10.5* Stock reg and a Taylormate CGB max HL (12*?) with stock reg shaft.
The TM is a great driver but sits too closed for my liking, the G10 is a lovley looking driver but I tend to get hit the bad ones a mile in the wrong direction so it's costing me massivly.
I was in the proshop last night and I lifted a 'new' Mizuno MP600 - this is a driver made for good consistant players (of which I am not) - but its a few years old and the pro said it would not be big money- It was a 9.5 FUJIKURA FIT-ON E360 - in stiff - this is an upgrade shaft. I thought sod it I will take it out and bash it about.

SHOCK & HORROR I was hitting it well (straight and mid height - some with a nice cut) but most importantly it was hitting poor shots that only went into the light rough. Even my worst was still playable- and WHY? Well I think it is due to the lower MOI - the high MOI drivers let you hit poor shots the same distance as a good shot, so when you swing like a lemon then you knock it a mile wrong.
Are the mfrs wrong? Have they increased the MOI and made us go further into the hay? Whats your thoughts?? Is it the MOI? Change in shaft? Lower spinning head? Loft??

Putt_Low

Visit site
I would imagine it is more to do with the circumstances in which you played them. Taking a driver for a bash has no nerves associated with it unlike on course when you are scoring!

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would imagine it is more to do with the circumstances in which you played them. Taking a driver for a bash has no nerves associated with it unlike on course when you are scoring!

You assume that I only mark a card when I play golf. But infact I play 2 evenings a week with no card and still bash 'em into the hay.

Putt_Low

Visit site
Still think it is in the mind. I would avoid a driver all together and hit a 3/5 wood until you find 90% of fairways and then go to a driver.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think it will work until the cheque clears. Til then the lure of the shiny stuff will keep it working.

I have a theory that if I never played with the same kit twice I could be off scratch.

I think you focus more when you are hitting trial kit, and once it is yours, you relax, and old habits sneak bcak in.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
mfrs = manufacturers
MOI = Moment of Inertia = resistance to twisting / forgiveness. If a club has a high MOI a poor shot (not in the sweet spot) will go pretty much the same distace - a low MOI club will not hit the ball as far on an off centre shot. I found this made my poor shots (off centre and slicing) go slightly shorter - but more importantly they stayed close to the fairway, where a high MOI driver put me in the hay.

To be honest I though it was important to share my experiance as I thought most people prefered to be shorter but on the fairway.

Lets hope the big stick is good to me tonight.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
cheers ken, so basically high MOI allow bad shots to cover stupid distances, that makes sense why my mates 440 cobra is like a tommy gun spraying bullets in a drive by!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 600 is a good driver and the 360 a decent shaft, not too soft, not too firm.

The stock shaft in the Ping is pretty soft, and that in the TM not much better.

I think the better shaft, and maybe higher MOI, is allowing you to get the clubface in a more consistent place.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to agree with Ethan and think it may have been the shaft not working for you rather than the MOI. I agree about the TM being pretty soft and I'm toying with looking at a stiff shaft but that is more for the winter when I have some cash

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
A heck of a lot of people will just not play a driver then...

90% is a sick percentage...

I wish I could do that :D

Im in that 90%...And for now its the best decision iv made....Although im trying to resist the urge to buy a Cobra S2 or an L5V driver..... :(

nulassilb

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I get a little lost in the science - but I have just changed my driver and I think I have finally found the right one. They are so fickle that I agree with many of the posts that you have to find the right shaft, loft and head shape etc etc before you find one that suits. Top players will be able to hit most things well - but even they keep searching for the right club.

I had a Ping G2 with a 15 degree head. It was probably a special of some sort - but I loved it. I hit it straight, but not long. When I upgraded a couple of years ago, my pro suggested that I keep a fair amount of loft and I opted for an 11 degree FT-5. Hated the sound (another important factor) but hit it a little further than the ping and equally consistently.

I think my game has improved and I tried an FT iq (£300 + now down to £140 ish) and I love it. So far, much improved accuracy/confidence and longer than the FT 5.

The moral of the story is keep searching and hopefully find the combination of looks, sound, loft and shaft that give you the confidence to play better......or could I simply be in the honeymoon period?

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
90% of fairways???

How mad is that, it may just be my opinion, but i dont know anyone that hits 90% of fairways.

I really dont, maybe 60-70%, but i miss the bad stuff most of the time, so to say hit 90% of fairways before using a driver is bit much for me. I think if you minimise your mistakes with the driver, ie know your stock shot and play to your strengths, do many pros even hit 90%?

I agree with some of the previous posts about the shaft change, maybe better suited to your swing. what is the driver length also? a shorter driver can also aid accuracy.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I would buy it if you are happy with it (distance and direction). It may well be more forgiving than your current driver.

footnote: I'd never play without a driver in my bag and I'll never be able to hit 90% of fairways with ANY club.

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Im in that 90%...And for now its the best decision iv made....Although im trying to resist the urge to buy a Cobra S2 or an L5V driver..... :(

I'm off to the range today then maybe 9 holes and taking the new driver (S2) with me. Think it was technique and trying to smash the crap out of it that made me struggle before.

You know you want a new Cobra driver for that Cobra bag of yours. :D