Another beginner saying hello

Red_Eyes

Medal Winner
Visit site
I am going to take a lef out of Spoffs book and introduce myself...

For a start I am a late starter having just gone 44. I first took up golf in 1996 with a borrowed set of clubs and playing municiples and Shirley by way of a corporate thing. I stopped playing soon after through the combined effects of new house, new child and lung cancer, one of those 3 is enough to give stress, the 3 freaked me. Though I wouldnt change anything now.

Things are now great, the daughter even makes a reasonable caddy for the first 9 holes.

Well, I am now kitted out courtesy of Ebay and enjoying all the frustrations golf brings. Hopefully over time I can bring all my kit up to a decent standard.

I am looking for a club to join within reasonable travelling distance of North Brum. Sandwell, Handsworth and Great Barr being the nearest. I appear to be disadvantaged as I know no one really within the golfing community. I am keen to put that right but it does seem a catch 22 as you need proposing and seconding. I have emailed a few clubs but replying doesn't seem high on their agenda but it holiday week.

As to my playing ability, I seem better than in '96 but sub 100 looks a long way off.

I look forward to contributing but it'll be SFQs all the way to start with.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum mate, quite a story you have.

What clubs you playing with? We have a decent buy / swap section on here and aint half bad and giving advice.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Welcome,

I'm sure you'll be pleased to find as time goes on that none of your tribulations about joining clubs, knowing no one etc. are unresolvable.

Hope you enjoy it here,

bill

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
howdy red eyes.

Next time you find me on here moaning about my golf just remind me what you've been through..... it just put things into perspective for me.

emjoy the forum.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
looks like we've already said hello on another post, be better when we meet in person in July. We might even make it a three-ball if we can pry minty18 loose as he only lives down the A1 from Wybo.

Red_Eyes

Medal Winner
Visit site
looks like we've already said hello on another post, be better when we meet in person in July. We might even make it a three-ball if we can pry minty18 loose as he only lives down the A1 from Wybo.

agreed on that, another colleague is coming to Wybo too on the same course, he plays too - so he says. I'll prime him on Monday. 21-24 july are our course dates so will be coming on the Sunday

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Welcome and glad you decided to take up this wonderful sport of ours again, as mentioned, this forum has advice, support etc by the bucket load so you can't go far wrong.
Keep us updated on your progress and maybe see you for a game.
Barb

teetime72

Head Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Red.

Glad everything is going well for you at this time.

As for being a late starter,Viscount and I have already laid

claim to this honour in Spoffs post.

Red_Eyes

Medal Winner
Visit site
your time will never be your own again.

Welcome.
Was it ever! With two judo mad daughters also enjoying swimming, netball and trampoling I have two fit (dictionary definition :) ) kids who take up alot of my time and money. But golf will be my time to relax[1]

My clubs are a cheap set of Panthers, I've never heard of them, but they have got me off my a**e and alongside the fairways. I can now employ the same mentality as with computers: as long as the case/bag remains the same her in doors thinks the contents are same. :evil:

As regards the big C. I was lucky it was spotted late, so I was able to follow my chosen career path. I was also lucky it could be removed with surgery invasive though it was. For those that like the gory bits it grew in my windpipe so eventually cut off my airsupply. So they cut the section out and sewed the ends together. Almost immeadiate complete recovery. Like I said, some respects I have been lucky, I met people who weren't - it's a leveller.

[1] I use the term loosely

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
red-eyes, Green fees for Wybo: after 15:00 (3 pm) 18 for the price of 9 but a discount (not a lot) if you are staying and book through the reception, so £14 to you.