Annual trip to Scotland

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/golfoffers/

If there is anything on there you will be playing let me know and I can post the voucher if it's any good to you. Some are £12 others £15, some are valid 7 days others just Monday to Friday depends on the course.

Thanks, very kind. Having a quick scan of the list, I imagine we'd definitely play Stonehaven as it is so close to where we are staying.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got any specific recommendations?

Any of the 3 courses at Gullane are good, all different tests depending on what your after. Also The west links at North Berwick, my favorite course to play. I hear good things about Dunbar and Longniddry too but have yet to play them. All would be within your budget I'd have thought most you'll spend would be £100ish a round.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
This is a great shout although it is not really that near Berwick in driving terms. You go up the A1, turn onto the A697 just past Morpeth and drive to it that way. Well worth it as said.

You will grin like an idiot playing the par 3 10th. Every golf designer building 200+yd par 3's should play this hole and accept they are wrong.

I had to look at that and loved it! I agree, everyone is going for long holes whereas this is a different type of challenge.
10th hole flyover

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Play Edzell there open is in 2 weeks and will be in superb condition, some decent places to eat in Montrose as well and the course is class if playing Montrose use the Mercantile club for food and drink its cheap and superb quality.

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
If you do head to Carnoustie and need another course to play nearby then Panmure is worth a look. It is a links course but with a few more parkland style holes late in the back nine. Not a 'great' course but it is decent and fairly difficult - one extremely challenging par four (around the 5th from memory) was the standout.

IM01

Challenge Tour Pro
www.goswicklinksgc.co.uk
Goswick will be hosting the EGU men's senior county championship early next month so will be in good condition .Great time of year to play the Hirsel.

Dunbar, Gullane or North Berwick in East Lothian well worth a game or Mortonhall just off the Edinburgh bypass worth a look.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
From the foregoing posts, l like the way you've been given half of Scotland to choose from - even though you're only going for a week :).

Given where you're staying, my suggestions would be Montrose as a must, plus Forfar & Edzell. Panmure a good shout if you're going near Carnoustie.

(Peterculter l can only recall for getting the wettest l've ever been on a golf course. Sadly that eclipses any recollection of the course itself ... l think it was next to the river - but that might have just been the 10th fairway).

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Play Edzell there open is in 2 weeks and will be in superb condition, some decent places to eat in Montrose as well and the course is class if playing Montrose use the Mercantile club for food and drink its cheap and superb quality.
Be quick about it, only a handful of late tee times left, plus chance to play off the whites.

Also agree about the Merkie if you play Montrose.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Booked on to play Roxburghe on the way up. Couldn't get on Lanark as they have a scramble on Saturday, so may look at seeing if we can get on the Friday we come back.

Definitely liking the look of Edzell and will play Montrose, so so far we have:

Roxburghe
Edzell
Montrose
Cruden Bay
Blairgowrie Rosemount
+ 2 others.

We realised Carnoustie is out of the question as it's the Alfred Dunhill Links the week we are there, maybe another year.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Booked on to play Roxburghe on the way up. Couldn't get on Lanark as they have a scramble on Saturday, so may look at seeing if we can get on the Friday we come back.

Definitely liking the look of Edzell and will play Montrose, so so far we have:

Roxburghe
Edzell
Montrose
Cruden Bay
Blairgowrie Rosemount
+ 2 others.

We realised Carnoustie is out of the question as it's the Alfred Dunhill Links the week we are there, maybe another year.

we played Edzell in our autumn Jolly a couple of weeks ago and TBH, didn't think much of it. greens were a bit worn and too many blind shots to my liking. 5 or 6 blind shots in the front 9 at least, with maybe more on the back.

I would recommend Forfar which was the best of the parkland/ heathland courses we played and i would def play that again but not Edzell

always enjoy monifieth and panmure.

Last edited:

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got back from our trip and had a great time.

We ended up playing Roxburghe on the way up. Lovely course, really enjoyed it. Some tough holes, but I know I enjoyed it because I played terribly and would love to play it again.

We ended up at Aboyne on the Sunday and what a hidden gem that place is. Some wonderful holes and the contrast between the front 9 and the back is something else. Apart from the 1st and the 9th being rather weak, we all really enjoyed it. Greens were a little slow, but it had been raining heavily.

Played Edzell on the Monday and that was a bit of a let down. Felt a little up and down at times and the greens were in the process of being tined and sanded. Not sure we'd go back

Headed over to Blairgowrie on the Tuesday and had a warm up on the Wee course. Delightful little 9 holes. Never played it before, but was most enjoyable. Then on to the Rosemount, which was in fabulous condition. Played it a few times before and it never disappoints. Do find the long par 4s off the yellows a bit frustrating though when off the whites they are considered par 5s, especially when the whites are only about 20 yards longer, if not less. Makes scoring for me considerably harder as I'm really not a long hitter!

Wednesday we headed to Montrose and that was amazing. A real test in the wind with gusts up to 35 mph apparently. Not overly long, but it was great trying to battle the wind and the course. Played well around there, and will definitely go back.

Due to the winds at Cruden being reported up to 40 mph we decided to give it a miss this year, mainly due to elements vs. cost. Will go one year I am sure so went to Downfield instead. Amazing course considering its location and the friendliest pro we have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Again some lovely holes (although the dog leg right 16th was stupid)

Finally ended up at Lanark on the way home. Not sure what I thought about Lanark. Felt very compact at times with holes seemingly crossing over each other unnecessarily and it often felt like just a hybrid/4W off the tee with a short iron in to the green.... and talking of greens, they were very quick considering the weather and very nice but the 1st was absolutely ridiculous. Not a flat spot on the whole thing. It was like playing crazy golf. I think we ALL 3 putted. But it was in fantastic condition and the members were very friendly.

Already counting down the weeks until our trip next year!

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got back from our trip and had a great time.

We ended up playing Roxburghe on the way up. Lovely course, really enjoyed it. Some tough holes, but I know I enjoyed it because I played terribly and would love to play it again.

We ended up at Aboyne on the Sunday and what a hidden gem that place is. Some wonderful holes and the contrast between the front 9 and the back is something else. Apart from the 1st and the 9th being rather weak, we all really enjoyed it. Greens were a little slow, but it had been raining heavily.

Played Edzell on the Monday and that was a bit of a let down. Felt a little up and down at times and the greens were in the process of being tined and sanded. Not sure we'd go back

Headed over to Blairgowrie on the Tuesday and had a warm up on the Wee course. Delightful little 9 holes. Never played it before, but was most enjoyable. Then on to the Rosemount, which was in fabulous condition. Played it a few times before and it never disappoints. Do find the long par 4s off the yellows a bit frustrating though when off the whites they are considered par 5s, especially when the whites are only about 20 yards longer, if not less. Makes scoring for me considerably harder as I'm really not a long hitter!

Wednesday we headed to Montrose and that was amazing. A real test in the wind with gusts up to 35 mph apparently. Not overly long, but it was great trying to battle the wind and the course. Played well around there, and will definitely go back.

Due to the winds at Cruden being reported up to 40 mph we decided to give it a miss this year, mainly due to elements vs. cost. Will go one year I am sure so went to Downfield instead. Amazing course considering its location and the friendliest pro we have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Again some lovely holes (although the dog leg right 16th was stupid)

Finally ended up at Lanark on the way home. Not sure what I thought about Lanark. Felt very compact at times with holes seemingly crossing over each other unnecessarily and it often felt like just a hybrid/4W off the tee with a short iron in to the green.... and talking of greens, they were very quick considering the weather and very nice but the 1st was absolutely ridiculous. Not a flat spot on the whole thing. It was like playing crazy golf. I think we ALL 3 putted. But it was in fantastic condition and the members were very friendly.

Already counting down the weeks until our trip next year!

Sound like you had a good trip, played Edzell a few weeks back and it was good although the greens were soft and spiking up and we were out early. Barry at Downfield is a class guy only took over about 3 years ago and has done really well at it, they've done a tonne of work to the course which means there season up there is longer, agree with 16 tho , its a decent test of golf tho