And was Jerusalem builded here…

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
….among those dark satanic mills…?

Well the mills are pretty much all gone but when William Blake put the lyrics to the hymn Jerusalem, he could have quite easily have been stood up on these hills above the Calder Valley.

It would of course looked a little different when Old Tom and Dr Mackenzie cast their wisdom over Dewsbury District Golf Club, but the views from high up really are literally breathtaking. IMG_2742.jpegIMG_2741.jpeg

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Used to be up there all the time. Used to ride my bike around the old paved/cobbled cart path. Which holes are they, looks like 10, 11 or 12. Amazing how close the 10th green is to the boundary fence.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Used to be up there all the time. Used to ride my bike around the old paved/cobbled cart path. Which holes are they, looks like 10, 11 or 12. Amazing how close the 10th green is to the boundary fence.

Top picture is looking at the 2nd green and across the 14th fairway (which used be the 15th), and then looking back down the 2nd fairway to the left and the 3rd fairway to the right. The two greens in the bottom picture are actually used as winter greens afaik.

That 2nd fairway is a right lungbuster as you walk up it - but once you've got to the 3rd tee, if you're not needing a de-fib, you're usually good for the rest of the round. :ROFLMAO:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Top picture is looking at the 2nd green and across the 14th fairway (which used be the 15th), and then looking back down the 2nd fairway to the left and the 3rd fairway to the right. The two greens in the bottom picture are actually used as winter greens afaik.

That 2nd fairway is a right lungbuster as you walk up it - but once you've got to the 3rd tee, if you're not needing a de-fib, you're usually good for the rest of the round. :ROFLMAO:
I can see it now. Is the pond still on the left side of the 3rd? You forgot about the hill just off the front of the 8th tee. 🤪 I drove the 8th once in the winter when the ground was frozen.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah, the pond is still there although it was dry the last time I played up there (although that was probably June). As a junior I hated the 8th as I couldn’t get my driver airborne to clear the ridge, and my 3 wood rarely got to the top anyway. The front nine is generally quite tricky I feel, but if there’s little wind you can generally score well on the back 9.