An improvement with iron striking achieved perhaps ?

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Following some advice on here and a bit of reading last night i tried today my iron play

Suffering from hitting it fat or / and very deep divots i tried this change

1. After suspecting a breakdown of my arms ( flipping ) and chicken wing at impact perhaps, i took several practice swings thinking of the correct follow through and the strike was far better.

My arms ( left elbow ) were breaking down at impact and beyond and making the focus on keeping my left arm straight the results were good

The other fact i worked on was where to start the swing, my old style was telling my brain that the swing was over at impact the result no extended follow through

By getting to the top of my backswing and then thinking swing starts here and stops at the end of the follow through ( impact equals half way ) made a big difference to the instinct to hit the ball

Seemed to work, may help other "hitters"

The fact the follow through is very important is often overlooked i think

Last edited:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes the same followthough as the backswing. Would try and get the idea of hitting the ball compleatly out of your mind. Try thinking of the ball just getting in the way of the swing and sweep it away into the distance. Good luck, keep it up.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
yup, thats what my pro teaches me, just swing and the ball will get in the way, dont actually try and hit it, just swing through it

easier said than done with a 150yd shot over water :p

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It has taken me six months of playing 2-3 times a week to slow down my swing and rebuild my take away and tempo to improve my ball striking.

In addition I've also been concentrating on swinging closer to my body with relaxed arms and it's coming together nicely so now I'm really looking forward to the summer :D .

Last edited: