An admission.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
No!!....... I'm not Timgolfy.

Some time last week, I started a thread called "Have I developed a swing flaw".

Basically I've noticed that at address my weight is neutral (50/50). As I begin the back swing, I start to load my weight forward onto my left foot (right hand player) about 60/40 at the top of the backswing, then swing through as normal.

One forum member said "I'd caught the stack and tilt virus". I've done a little reading up on S&T and I'm not sure that I have. For and example:

a) I dont point my shoulder down (although I do make a good shoulder turn)

b) My finish is not the reverse "C" they prescribe.

The only thing I have in common is the weight shift forward.

Anyway. Since I've started doing this, I've noticed that my ball striking has improved ten fold. My woods and irons are a lot straighter and, with the short irons and wedges, I've actually started to take a divot infront of the ball rather than just brusing the surface of the turf.

At the course last night a friend (and low handicaper)watched me tee off to our 6th 322yard par 4 and asked how long I had been using S&T.

I played 11 holes and was +7 (+5 thru 9)

I'm going to get a swing video done, maybe tomorrow, before our medal comp. Suffice to say I'm curious for peoples opinions on this.

Is what I am doing a form of S&T or have a just found what suits me and my swing?

A

Alex1975

As the men from S&T will be quick to point out, we are told to play all our chips of the front foot as it makes a cleaner strike, why should an iron shot be any different.

Its not how I play a shot but if its working for you, go for it.

Oh I think its not S&T its just an element of

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
How many golfers have a standard swing?

Not many, if any. There are always differences.

If adding a bit of a hint of the principals of S&T work for you, why not? You don't have to go down the complete swing change route, just what works for you.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

If adding a bit of a hint of the principals of S&T work for you, why not? You don't have to go down the complete swing change route, just what works for you.

Well said Murph.

The way I'm hitting it now, believe me, I have no intensions of a full swing change.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Agreed, I think I replied to Gareth's original post saying we all have swings made up of flaws and compensations. I wouldn't mind if you stood oon your head if it got the job done (although there's probably something in the rules that says standing on your head isn't allowed :D)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
most importantly if nothing else this changes is inspiring confidence and faith in your ability, stick with it gareth.

You're quite right OS it is.

The 322 Yard par 4 (in the original post) I was on in 2 (5 wood off the tee, SW to about 15ft), still only managed a par, but with it being a tricky hole, Ill take a par any day.

The 8th is another par 4, I hit that in 2 also.

Soco11

Club Champion
Visit site
I love the way pros try to fit you into one particular swing and have this robotic approach to a golf shot. You have to look at Jim Furyk and John Daly to dispose these theories. Everyone has their own swings and we should do what works for us!

Met a guy the other day that hit his 7 iron around 125-130 yards and had senior shaft speed, yet he played of 6 because he stuck to what he knew and knew where his ball would end up!

Anyway, in answer to your S&T question, stick with it until it goes wrong!